Work on real performances and shows during your study to get valuable industry experience.
Why study technical production at QUT?
- Develop management, technical and creative skills in the theatrical fields of acting, dance, opera, music, circus, fashion, festivals and events.
- Build on production fundamentals in stage management, lighting, sound, vision and scenography to develop a personalised learning pathway.
- Gain expertise working with different multimedia formats and in film shoots.
- Build real-world skills with intensive practical and theoretical learning.
Work on real events
Our technical production courses are intensive and highly practical, providing you with the opportunity to work on a range of events, including:
- theatre productions
- music and dance performances
- fashion parades with students from other creative industries courses.
Get industry experience
You can experience the real professional side of technical production through internships and industry placements at a range of companies, productions and events, including:
- state and local theatre companies
- major performing arts venues
- opera and dance companies
- musical theatre companies
- entertainment venues
- touring stage productions.
Expertise in technical production is valued in a range of industries. Our courses will prepare you for a diverse and exciting career in the theatre and live performance industry. You'll gain an understanding of the entire theatrical process and, through practical placements, you'll get insight to the industry, as well as industry contacts.
You'll build on the fundamental skills of production by specialising in a particular field of live production. To assist with this, you can choose a minor that best suits your interests to complement your technical production major.
Learn from the best
You'll be taught by industry professionals who offer expert knowledge about the industry and practice. Your lecturers and tutors will also use their networks and connections to provide you with opportunities for workplace internships and placements.
Pathways to postgraduate study
Turn your creative interests and professional expertise into a postgraduate research degree to master new techniques, skills and research methods. Complete your research as either a thesis or a practical industry-focused creative work, with a written component.
Our graduates work for companies and shows all around the world as:
- stage managers
- production managers
- lighting, sound and scenic designers
- technical programmers and operators
- tour managers
- technical directors
- props, costume and stage mechanics specialists
- theatrical flying and automation specialists.
They work in all types of live production and performance, including:
- classical and contemporary music concerts
- corporate theatre
- sports production (including opening and closing ceremonies)
- other large public performance events.
Pathways also exist for you to complete postgraduate study.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.
Creative Industries Faculty
- Phone: 3138 8114
- Fax: 3138 8116
- Postal address:
QUT Creative Industries Faculty
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059