We offer the only optometry training in Queensland, and are one of just five providers in Australia.
Why study optometry at QUT?
- Get hands-on experience working with real patients in our campus Optometry Clinic at QUT Health Clinics, and in external facilities.
- Participate in community activities that focus on prevention, treatment and education among diverse social and cultural groups, ages and conditions.
- Graduates of the program are eligible for registration as an optometrist who can use prescription medications for the therapeutic management of eye disease.
- Learn from staff who have strong industry links and have been recognised internationally for research that has improved the diagnosis and treatment of ocular and vision problems.
- Registered optometrists who complete the Graduate Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics can apply for therapeutic endorsement with the Optometry Board of Australia.
Masters by coursework
Masters by research
Work with real patients
Get practical experience treating real patients in our Optometry Clinic at the QUT Health Clinics. Use complex instruments and equipment in a world-class training environment, and work under the supervision of experienced optometry professionals.
Many optometrists refer their patients to the clinic for specialist testing on advanced equipment that is only available at our campus.
The Optometry Clinic at QUT Health Clinics provides eye and vision examinations, spectacles and contact lenses, and specialist services including:
- children's vision
- colour vision assessment
- retinal and anterior eye imaging and analysis
- corneal topography
- ocular photography
- computerised perimetry
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander optometry services
- vision rehabilitation for visually impaired people.
Learn from the best
Learn from academics and guest lecturers with years of experience in private practice in optometry and other health disciplines like medicine and pharmacy.
Many of our staff are active researchers who have made technological advances in:
- correction of defects of vision
- diagnosis and assessment of ocular and vision problems
- functional repair of vision impairment.
Staff have been acknowledged with international research awards recognising the quality and impact of their research.
Train in ocular therapeutics
Practising optometrists can study our Graduate Certificate in Ocular Therapeutics. Graduate eligible to apply for therapeutic endorsement with the Optometry Board of Australia. This course is the only one of its kind in Queensland, and is designed to help you meet the legislative requirements to use a range of S4 drugs to treat eye disease.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.
School of Optometry and Vision Science
- Phone: 3138 5879
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 5879
- Fax: 3138 5880
- O Block,
Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059
Optometry course enquiries
- Phone: 3138 5856
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 5856
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org