As leaders in technology and the creative industries, we offer an important edge to professionals in this specialist field.
Why study media and communication at QUT?
- Learn to successfully present and distribute tailored content to target audiences in a variety of formats.
- Learn about the effects of the media on society, and how issues presented in the media shape public discussion.
- Develop both practical skills and theoretical knowledge from staff who are undertaking leading research.
- Bachelor of Business (Advertising)
- Bachelor of Business (Public Relations)
- Bachelor of Communication (Advertising and Public Relations)
- Bachelor of Communication (Digital Media)
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)
- Bachelor of Creative Industries
- Bachelor of Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Media and Communication
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Communication (Digital Media)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Creative Industries
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Communication (Digital Media)/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Communication (Digital Media)/Bachelor of Justice
- Bachelor of Communication (Digital Media)/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Justice
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Nutrition Science
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Public Health
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Creative Industries/Bachelor of Human Services
- Bachelor of Creative Industries/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Creative Industries/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate in Business (Integrated Marketing Communication)
- Graduate Certificate in Business (Public Relations)
- Graduate Diploma in Business (Research) (Advertising)
- Graduate Diploma in Business (Research) (Public Relations)
Masters by coursework
Short courses and professional development
In our courses, you'll learn practical and theoretical skills about the ways organisations and individuals communicate in the media. You'll learn how to combine knowledge of industry, audiences, technology and policy to successfully communicate content to the right people in the best way.
You'll graduate with specialist skills in a growing field, and understand the important influence of the media industry. You'll learn how the media works by studying media research and policy to understand the effects of media on society, and the issues that shape public debate.
Explore a range of media formats
Our Bachelor of Media and Communication focuses on distributing creative content with a broad range of media formats, including:
- new media
- the internet
- mobile technologies
- public relations
You'll gain practical experience through internships and work placements in media, advertising and public relations organisations, as well as government departments and agencies. Our students have completed placements with Network Ten, Brisbane Festival, Hyperplex Cinemas and BBS Communications Group.
Get involved in maintaining the industry-acclaimed Brisbane Media Map - an online inventory of Brisbane media companies. This map is a valuable resource for students, job seekers, potential investors and industry professionals.
Pathways to postgraduate study
Turn your creative interests and professional expertise into a postgraduate research degree to master new techniques, skills and research methods. Complete your research as either a thesis or a practical industry-focused creative work, with a written component.
Our graduates work in numerous professions across a huge variety of industries. For example, they may work as sales executives for media outlets or as media planners and buyers for advertising agencies.
Careers exist in:
- marketing communications
- public relations
- corporate communications
- audience and market research
- collating and analysing data for media outlets
- media policy development
- digital content management.
Pathways also exist for you to prepare for further study, including honours.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.
Creative Industries Faculty
- Phone: 3138 8114
- Fax: 3138 8116
- Postal address:
QUT Creative Industries Faculty
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059