Our virtual production studio provides students with a range of skills they can apply to big-budget movies, games and interactive content.
Why study animation at QUT?
- Explore animation in a range of creative fields, including animated filmmaking, visual effects, game development and the visual arts.
- Develop practical skills in motion graphics, 3D graphics, drawing and real-time modelling for virtual environments.
- Gain experience and contacts in your industry through professional industry placements and projects.
- Choose independent study options to design and implement creative work.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Animation)
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments (Animation)
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments (Game Design)
- Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments (Software Technologies)
Get hands-on experience
Throughout your course, you can choose to work on real-world projects or develop your own practice. You'll be encouraged to experiment with a range of animation styles and techniques, while producing your own animations, graphics and visual effects. You can use our broad range of study areas to tailor your learning to the parts of industry you're most interested in.
In your final year, you'll develop a major creative work that explores whichever aspect or medium of animation you choose. You'll showcase this work to industry professionals at your end-of-year graduate exhibition.
Build real-world skills
As part of your study, you'll work in a studio setting and respond to creative briefs that help you develop a comprehensive set of skills and knowledge to express your inspired and innovative ideas. Learn the fundamental concepts, practices and history of animation, including animation for:
- game development
- visual effects
- motion graphics
- virtual production.
Apply your skills and knowledge via practical training to take your concepts and projects from ideas to reality.
Pathways to postgraduate study
Turn your creative interests and professional expertise into a postgraduate research degree to master new techniques, skills and research methods. Complete your research as either a thesis or a practical industry-focused creative work, with a written component.
Our graduates are highly regarded in the animation, games and visual effects industries because they are versatile, innovative and career ready. They're employed as:
- concept artists
- visual effects artists
- game artists
They work in a range of industries, including:
- animation studios
- traditional film production houses
- computer games companies
- visual effects and post-production companies
- advertising and design agencies
- information visualisation and real-time studios.
Several of our graduates are award-winning storytellers who successfully produce animated short films that screen at international festivals.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.
Creative Industries Faculty
- Phone: 3138 8114
- Fax: 3138 8116
- Postal address:
QUT Creative Industries Faculty
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059