- Interactive 'live' video lectures, where you can participate, ask your teacher questions, or start a chat with your classmates for group projects.
- The ability to connect online and communicate with your teachers and classmates.
- One-on-one online meetings with teachers if you require extra academic and English language support.
- Your own virtual space where you can collaborate with classmates on group projects.
Register for your English Experience and receive 20 hours of English tuition in our online classroom. That is 4 hours per day for 5 days. Absolutely free!
Choose a program
Depending on your English level, you can try one of these two programs:
This program will help you develop the core skills of reading, writing, speaking, and listening while increasing fluency and pronunciation. General English is very popular with students who want to improve their English for work, study, and everyday life. See more information for General English Program.
Focuses on academic writing, study skills, speaking in an academic setting, seminars and presentations, academic reading, and note-making, in lectures and library research. See more information about English for Academic Purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Register your details using a Microsoft (MS) email address. If you do not have a Microsoft email address you will need to create one. Please watch this video for instructions on how to create a Microsoft email account. 1.
2. Choose the date and time you would like to attend your free English Experience. Class times shown on the registration form are adjusted for your location and time zone.
After you register we will invite you to attend a 30 minute orientation session. This will be on the Friday afternoon or Monday morning before your class starts. The orientation session will explain how you will use the Microsoft Teams and Zoom platforms, and what you will need to ensure the most enjoyable class experience.
We offer classes for all English levels, from complete beginner to advanced speaker. You may select either General English or Academic English. Please note we may change your selection depending on your English ability.
Yes. If you have already taken an English language test (IELTS Academic, Pearson PTE, Cambridge English Score or TOEFL iBT) you will be required to provide the result. The test must be no more than 2 years old.
If you have not previously taken an English test you will be required to take a Duolingo test so that we can assess your English level and place you in a class suitable for your level.
Further information will be sent after you register.
Experience English at QUT classes will be taught using the Zoom and Microsoft Teams platforms. After you register, we will send you detailed instructions which you can use to join your online class. We will also invite you to join a 30 minute online orientation session prior to starting your Experience English class.
There are some technical requirements that you must follow to join our online class.
- You must create a Microsoft (MS) email address to participate in the class. If you are unsure how to do this, please read the How do I join FAQ.
- You must use a laptop, desktop, or tablet that is suitable for online learning. It should have at least a 10-inch screen, camera, keyboard and be audio enabled. You cannot use a mobile phone.
- You must have the latest version of Zoom and Microsoft Teams installed on your device.
- You must have a fast and reliable internet connection.
Experience English at QUT is a free English class, to help you decide whether you want to continue studying English at QUT. Your teacher will encourage you to be involved and participate, however your level of participation is entirely up to you.
You will receive 20 hours of free online English Language training in a live class and a Certificate of Completion of your Experience English at QUT program. If you continue studying English as a fee-paying student at QUT College, you may be eligible for the following assistance package:
- A refund of the Duolingo English test fee (Value = AUD$70)
- A waiver of the QUT College enrolment fee (Value = AUD$175)
- A 50% tuition fee concession if you enrol in English for Academic Purposes (Value = AUD$2250)
- Even though this is a free English trial class, you will be studying with other fee-paying students. Therefore, you must follow your teachers instructions and always be courteous and polite in class. Your teacher will reserve the right to remove you from the class.
- Sponsored students, including those with foreign government scholarships, may join the Experience English at QUT program, but are not eligible for the assistance package.
- If you have already applied for admission to QUT, you can still participate in the Experience English at QUT program, but you will not be eligible for the assistance package.
You can only attend one Experience English at QUT session and only submit one registration per person.
2021 class dates:
29 Mar – 2 Apr
5 Apr – 9 Apr
12 Apr – 16 Apr
English for Academic Purposes
29 Mar – 2 Apr
4 hours per day
1:00pm – 3:00pm and 3:30pm – 5:30pm (Aust Eastern Standard Time)