When teaching mathematics, it’s important that the concepts, strategies and activities are fresh or have been recently revised. Teaching probability and statistics to students in Years 7-9 requires the ability to analyse and interpret, collect and visualise data. Activities that are engaging and display data in different and interesting ways are essential to ensuring students remain interested.
Evolve with QUTeX
Educational professionals who continue their professional development with QUTeX obtain real world, practical skills for the classroom.
With this online course you’ll develop an understanding of analysing and interpreting data, visualising probability and get a refresher in mathematics. Teaching probability and stats will also give you the skills to design and apply effective practical probability and statistics activities in the middle years.
Who should participate?
This online course is for educators in early secondary school (Years 7-9 or from ages 12-14) who may not have trained as maths teachers but need the capabilities to teach mathematics. It has also been designed for teachers who need a refresher in teaching maths using practical and engaging classroom activities.
For Australian educators, this module aligns with the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST):
- 1.2 Understand how students learn
- 2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area
- 2.5 Literacy and numeracy strategies
- 2.6 Information and Communication Technology
- 3.3 Using teaching strategies
- 3.4 Select and use resources
- 6.2 Engage in professional learning and improve practice
- 7.4 Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities.