Learn from other students
More experienced students often volunteer their time. You can get help with your coursework during their academic support sessions.
Whether you are struggling academically or simply want to hone your skills, QUT offers many programs, workshops and services to help you.
Academic language and learning services
Academic writing and speaking can be challenging for everyone, especially if English isn't your first language. That's why we're here to help. Academic Language and Learning Services (ALLS) offers specialised programs that are designed to help you succeed and get the most out of your course.
Culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) students are encouraged to participate in a variety of ALLS programs and workshops that are offered across faculties. Types of support include:
- academic writing skills workshops
- unit-specific workshops for assessments
- postgraduate writing circles
- pre-placement information sessions
- roleplay workshops
- drop-in sessions
- individual consultations
- higher degree research student research writing programs
QUT International College
QUT International College (QUTIC) provides you with a range of support services to help you improve your language and academic skills as well as your experience of living in Brisbane. If you don’t meet the academic or English language requirements for your course, you can study English language programs and university entry programs at the QUTIC.
QUTIC students have access to additional support services, such as trained mentors, social programs, and QUTIC welfare staff.
QUT students also have access to faculty-specific support. For example:
- Law students have access to the QUT Law Library, which offers extensive specialist resources and expert legal research assistance from library staff
- Business students can participate in the 4S Study Skills Program, which provides seminars and individual consultations to guide you through the core undergraduate unit assessments
- STIMulate is a free program provides assistance with skills in maths, science and IT to any student at QUT, no matter what course you study
Find out more about our support services for international students.
The QUT Library is much more than just a library. It’s an invaluable resource that you can use for free to improve your academic skills.
The Library Helpdesk gives you access to a range of tours, instructional workshops designed to teach you how to find and evaluate information or use particular Library services and applications, and academic and study skills.
Ask a librarian
Our Ask a Librarian service complements our Library Helpdesk by providing a range of communication channels for students seeking help. There are a few ways you can get help, including our online form and online chat tool.
Staff at library helpdesks assist clients to:
- find, evaluate and use the most relevant information sources for study, research and teaching
- borrow materials
- answer queries about library services.
Study Solutions is a special Library program that provides you with individual help on:
- writing assignments
- managing time
- finding information for assignments
- referencing and citing
- organising group assignments
- preparing for exams
Resources and materials
Most of the QUT Library's physical collections of books, audiovisual materials, and curriculum collection materials are available to be borrowed during Library opening hours. The time periods for loans vary depending on the type of material and your borrowing rights.
Services available include the ability to:
- request items to be delivered from another campus
- reserve items on loan in person or online
- renew loans in person or online
Online resources are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (excluding QUT and vendor maintenance periods). These include books and ebooks, DVDs, journal and newspaper articles, legal materials as well as online videos, music and other multimedia resources. Access to conference proceedings and theses as well as research datasets and citation analysis tools are also available.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.