Change to view Australian and NZ students' course information. You are viewing international students' course information.
- Make an original and substantial contribution to knowledge in business.
- Develop high level research and analytical skills, and depth of knowledge in your chosen field.
- Opportunity to graduate and follow an academic career in both teaching and research, or advance your professional career prospects.
- Complete in 3 years full-time or 6 years part-time.
|QUT course code||IF49|
Note: International student visas holders require on-campus study to be completed full-time.
Note: The expected duration is three to four years full-time, or six to eight years part-time.
2014 & 2015
Note: Entry is available at any time subject to approval
Note: Part-time and external study options may be available depending on the project, infrastructure requirements and funding arrangements.
Other courses you may be interested in
- Bachelor of Behavioural Science (Psychology)/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Creative Industries
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Interactive and Visual Design)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Arts)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Games and Interactive Entertainment
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Journalism
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Mathematics
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Media and Communication
- Bachelor of Creative Industries
- Bachelor of Exercise and Movement Science/ Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Property Economics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Business
- Master of Business (Accounting)
- Master of Business (Applied Finance)
- Master of Business (Human Resource Management)
- Master of Business (Integrated Marketing Communication)
- Master of Business (International Business)
- Master of Business (Management)
- Master of Business (Marketing)
- Master of Business (Professional Accounting)
- Master of Business (Public Relations)
- Master of Business (Strategic Advertising)
- Master of Business/Master of Business
- Master of Project Management
QUT adopts a project management approach in its PhD programs. PhD candidates work closely with their supervisory team to meet collegially reviewed milestones leading to timely submission of a thesis for examination. QUT is proud of its record of timely completions and low attrition rates realised by this approach.
During candidature the supervisor and other key stakeholders will provide advice and direction to the candidate to encourage their participation in university scholarly activities such as research seminars, teaching and publication. The length of the thesis varies according to the topic, but should normally be no longer than 100,000 words, excluding bibliography.
IFN001 Advanced Information Retrieval Skills
Time based Thesis
Other units as agreed by student in negotiation with their supervisor and faculty.
Admission to the Doctor of Philosophy depends on an applicant’s demonstrated research aptitude and the availability of supervision, infrastructure and resources needed for the proposed research project.
An applicant would normally hold:
- a relevant first or second class division A honours degree or equivalent, or
- an appropriate Masters degree or Professional Doctorate (by research or coursework)
Masters and Professional Doctorates degrees by coursework must contain a significant research component, normally no less than 25%.
Holders of Masters and Professional Doctoral by Coursework must:
- have a grade point average of at least 5.0 on a 7 point scale and
- present evidence of research experience and potential for approval
Acceptable forms of evidence include:
- A letter from an approved employer confirming the continuation of your salary; or
- A signed Scholarship Agreement between QUT and your sponsoring agency; or
- An accepted letter of offer from QUT for a postgraduate research scholarship; or
- An approved external scholarship.
Minimum English language requirements
Students must meet the English proficiency requirements.
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)|
Haven't completed an IELTS test?
Don't have the English language score you need? We can help!
We offer courses to improve your English and help you gain entry to this course.
When you apply for this course, we'll recommend which English course you should enrol in.
Haven't completed an English language test? We can help!
You can complete an IELTS test at our Kelvin Grove campus.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
2015: $15,200 per Study Period (full-time) (subject to annual review)
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
How to apply for Doctor of Philosophy (Hosted by QUT Business School)
You apply directly to QUT for all our research degrees.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you have:
- Looked at our research areas
- Selected your degree
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked if you're eligible for a scholarship
- Agreed on a supervisor with your faculty
- Discussed your options and developed your topic
- Written your research proposal
- Gathered your supporting documents
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.