Change to view Australian and NZ students' course information. You are viewing international students' course information.
- Designed for aspiring dancers who enjoy a challenge and are passionate about a career as a dancer.
- Intensive daily training in the core techniques of ballet and contemporary dance, weekly duo, pas de deux, pointe, male coaching classes, Pilates, yoga and alternative dance and body conditioning styles - making you internationally competitive.
- Access to professional global networks and internationally recognised dance specialists.
- Experience at least one Australian or international tour.
- Secondment opportunities to major Australian companies and organisations.
- Opportunities for international exchange programs.
|QTAC course code||421822|
|QUT course code||KK34|
|Course duration||3 years full-time|
|Start month||2014 February|
Other courses you may be interested in
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative and Professional Writing)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drama)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Fashion)
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Fine Arts (Interactive and Visual Design)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative and Professional Writing)/Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Interactive and Visual Design)/Bachelor of Information Technology
The dance performance program at QUT boasts an enviable reputation and continues to lead in developing the creative passions of Australia’s future dance artists. It combines a rigorous fulltime dance training course with academic studies at degree level, and is designed for young aspiring dancers who enjoy being challenged, are passionate about a career as a dancer, and willing to commit their energies to full-time training at university level.
Why choose this course?
This course offers intensive daily training in the core techniques of ballet and contemporary dance supported by weekly duo, pas de deux, pointe, male coaching classes, Pilates, yoga and alternative dance and body conditioning styles—making you internationally competitive. Technology is integrated with choreographic workshops including a broad spectrum of screen studies.
You will connect with resident and guest choreographers and teachers, and showcase your talents in major performance seasons each semester. You will have the opportunity to undertake at least one tour in Australia or overseas and have access to international exchange programs. Secondment opportunities are available to major Australian companies and organisations and are supported within your studies.
When not in the dance studio, you will engage with the theory to extend your understanding and curiosity. This involves analysing and reflecting on both the mind and the body in dance and the roles of diverse styles—both historical and emerging. You will have access to professional global networks and internationally recognised dance specialists, who have experience in a range of dance practices and are active in the dance community through involvement with Ausdance, the Australian Dance Awards, external adjudication and examination panels, and international organisations. You will benefit from partnerships with organisations such as Expressions Dance Company and the Queensland Ballet Company.
QUT dance performance graduates are highly competitive and practise throughout Australia and internationally in major professional dance companies, dance education organisations, musicals, commercial environments and as independent artists. Many graduates achieve outstanding recognition as performers and choreographers throughout their careers. Following completion of your course, you can apply to continue into a graduate-entry teacher education course, or other postgraduate study options related to further studies in dance.
Your first year provides a solid grounding in your practice as a dance artist. Your technique studies will commence in our Transitional Training Program, with a broad range of physical, technical and psychological approaches including core techniques classes in ballet and contemporary, showcasing your skills in two major performance seasons, and fundamentals of choreography. Studies of anatomy, conditioning, dance history and dance analysis will contextualise your practice.
You will continue to refine your technique and performance skills with two more exciting seasons in our state-of-the-art theatre. You will advance your choreographic practice, learn to teach dance in a range of contexts, and acquire skills in portfolio and showreel preparation, applying for funding, collaborative networking, personal development, performance psychology and health management. Aesthetics and practices of current cutting edge performance and choreography will be contextualised.
You will acquire technical and interpretive skills to transition into the dance profession. You will engage with practising professional dance artists, feature in the mid-year and graduation showcases, undertake secondments, and have the opportunity to perform on tour overseas. You will tailor your course to your career aspirations through your electives.
Minimum English language requirements
Students must meet the English proficiency requirements.
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)|
Haven't completed an IELTS test?
Don't have the English language score you need? We can help!
We offer courses to improve your English and help you gain entry to this course.
When you apply for this course, we'll recommend which English course you should enrol in.
Haven't completed an English language test? We can help!
You can complete an IELTS test at our Kelvin Grove campus.
Additional entry requirements
Minimum completion of comparable Australian Year 12.
There are no closing dates for international applicants. We encourage you to apply as soon as you decide on the course you wish to study, to help you with visa requirements.
Please send the following documents along with your application (F Form) to QUT. You may post or e-mail your application.
- All documents requested on the F form
- Current passport sized photograph
- 4” x 6” full length body shot facing front in parallel standing position in leotard and tights or swim suit (no board shorts)
- A 4” x 6” full length body shot facing the side in parallel standing position in leotard and tights or swim suit (no board shorts)
- Tertiary Dance Council Personal Statement
- Tertiary Dance Council Physiotherapist Examination Report
- DVD of your work if you are unable to attend the auditions
Please send copies only – documents will not be returned.
Audition Locations and Dates
If you are able, international applicants are encouraged to attend auditions as outlined below. You must be available for the entire audition process. You can nominate your preferred date on your application. Confirmation of dates, time and place of audition, what to wear, what to bring on the day, will be sent out mid September.
Friday 4 October, 2013
University of NSW (Kensington Campus) Myers Studio, Gate 2 High Street, Kensington
9am - 5pm
Saturday 5 October, 2013
The Australian Ballet School, Level 5, 2 Kavanagh St. Southbank
9am - 5pm
Saturday 12 October, 2013
QUT O Block, B Wing East, Level 4, Kelvin Grove Campus
Round 1: 8am - 2pm
Round 2 (Call Back): 2.30pm - 6.00pm
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
2014: $12,300 per Study Period (48 credit points) (subject to annual review)
You'll need to pay some costs on top of your course fees.
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
How to apply for Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dance Performance)
You're ready to apply if you have:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for. You can apply for up to 3
- Checked important dates
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked costs and scholarships
- Checked if you're eligible for credit for prior learning
- Gathered supporting documents
All done? Then you're ready to apply.