What you'll receive
- a prize of $1,000
- one year of membership to the Early Childhood Teachers' Association
- one year membership to Early Childhood Australia.
You must be:
- in your final two years of study in:
- Bachelor of Education (Preservice Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood).
How to apply
Staff and students will receive a call for nominations by email in October each year.
There are two ways to be nominated for this award:
- be nominated by a staff member
- nominate yourself.
Staff nominating students
To nominate someone for the award, complete and submit the nomination form(PDF file, 29.9 KB).
You'll need to submit a one-page statement about how they will benefit from receiving the award.
To nominate yourself for the award, complete and submit the nomination form(PDF file, 29.9 KB).
You'll need to submit a one-page statement about how you'll benefit from receiving the award.
What happens next?
A selection panel from the School of Early Childhood will consider the nominations and make a final decision about the award recipient based on:
- the academic input of the candidate about developmentally appropriate, child-centred teaching practices
- evidence of competency in applying these teaching practices in a school setting, based on your professional experience reports.
We'll notify you of the outcome by email.
The successful recipient will receive the award at the Faculty of Education award ceremony, held annually before graduation.
About the scholarship
The Lil Gwyther Memorial Award has been established as an annual prize awarded to an undergraduate student in the School of Early Childhood who has demonstrated in-depth knowledge of early childhood education principles, and outstanding competency in using these principles when teaching young children in a school setting.
The award encourages students to be ambassadors for developmentally appropriate and child-centred teaching.
The award will honour the memory of Lil Gwyther, who actively promoted "flexible, child-centred and ungraded teaching practices" for early years education.
- Ross, Sheryl and David Gwyther - direct family
- Janni Boersma - other principle donor
- Queensland Early Childhood Teachers Association (QECTA)
- Early Childhood Australia (ECA)
- Queensland Teachers Union (QTU)
- Maris Element - principal, Pine Community School
- Gail Halliwell
- Jim Sharp
- Rhodes Hart
- Humphrey McQueen
- Kathy Kelly
- Ray Moynihan
- Carole Wild
- Lyn Winch
- Pat Cowling
- Josie Moynihan
- Joan Shears