What you'll receive
- a scholarship of $33,000 per annum, tax exempt for 3 years
- a full tuition fee sponsorship for international students.
An extension of up to 6 months may be considered, subject to satisfactory progress and budget availability.
To apply for this scholarship, you must meet the entry requirements for a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at QUT, including any English language requirements for international students.
You must also:
- enroll as a full-time, internal student
- have a background in critical data studies
- have substantial quantitative and mixed-methods data analytics skills
- start your PhD in July 2021.
How to apply
Follow our steps to apply for a research degree.
When submitting your expression of interest, include:
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV), including recent IELTS or equivalent if necessary
- your full academic transcript
- a two-page research proposal addressing the scholarship topic and explaining why you would be an excellent candidate for this scholarship
- a writing sample (e.g., copy of an article, essay or thesis)
- details of 2 academic or professional referees (email and contact number).
The expression of interest must indicate that you are applying for this scholarship and must have Professor Axel Bruns listed as your proposed supervisor.
For more information about the application process, contact Professor Axel Bruns.
What happens next?
The scholarship will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We are seeking to recruit a student as soon as possible.
This scholarship will be governed by the QUT Postgraduate Research Award rules.
About the scholarship
The ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society (ADM+S) is calling for expressions of interest for a PhD scholarship opportunity in its news and media focus area. The PhD researcher will be based in QUT's Digital Media Research Centre, and will also collaborate closely with other partner institutions in ADM+S, including our industry partner AlgorithmWatch.
For more information about the scholarship, contact Professor Axel Bruns.
The successful candidate will be working under the direction of Professor Axel Bruns in QUT's School of Communication. The candidate will be based within the vibrant research cultures of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society and QUT’s Digital Media Research Centre.