- Applications open
- 10 June 2019
- Applications close
- 3 July 2019
What you'll receive
- a scholarship valued at $3,500, paid as $437.50 per completed unit (independent of future fee increases)
- valuable mentoring opportunities through a structured volunteer agreement within a mutually agreed LIONS activity with Brisbane Macgregor Lions Club
- support to further your career, enrich your connection with service organisations, and enhance your capacity to contribute to the Australian community and inspire others to service.
The award is tenable for up to two years for the graduate certificate, and three years for the masters degree.
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- have a volunteering or work history in a community service, or career goals in this area
- be either:
- starting studies in the Graduate Certificate in Business or Master of Business, majoring in Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies
- continuing your study with 6 or more GNS units remaining on your study plan in the semester of scholarship offer
- not be receiving any other ACPNS scholarships.
Selection will be based on:
- demonstrable commitment to field of study
- relevant community service experience and career goals
- leadership contribution or potential for future leadership in field of study
- the extent to which the scholarship will support study at ACPNS and impact continuing community service contributions
- academic merit (previous or current studies).
Additional consideration will be given to applicants living, working or volunteering in the Brisbane South region.
How to apply
To apply, download the 2019 Brisbane Macgregor Lions Club Scholarship Application Pack and complete all 3 sections, which includes a written response to 3 criteria.
Make sure you:
- address all the sections outlined in the application package
- attach academic results from studies undertaken outside QUT
- provide any supporting documentation or references relevant to the application
- complete the written response in Part C – Leadership in Philanthropy and Nonprofit studies.
What happens next?
Applications close at 11.59pm Wednesday 3 July 2019.
All applications will be reviewed by the scholarship panel. Shortlisting of applications will occur by 5pm Friday 5 July, and successful shortlisted candidates will be notified on the same day.
Interviews will be conducted the following week, with the all candidates notified by 5pm Thursday 12 July 2019. This will enable withdrawal without penalty from the program, if study affordability is a key student concern.
- The scholarship provides $437.50 payment towards the tuition fees and study costs associated with each of the eight GSN units that form the Graduate Certificate in Business (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies), whether you are enrolled in BS39 Graduate Certificate in Business or BS11 Master of Business.
- The scholarship is tenable for up to two years or such further period as approved by an extension review.
- Short-listed applicants may be required to attend an interview with the selection panel.
- The recipient must remain enrolled in the prescribed program for which the scholarship was awarded (BS39 or BS11) at QUT, unless a change in program is a result of university changes.
- The recipient may hold The Brisbane Macgregor Lions Club Community Service Scholarship in addition to another QUT scholarship but may not hold another ACPNS scholarship.
- The recipient must maintain a minimum passing grade in all units and minimum GPA of 4.0 to remain in the scholarship program.
- Payment will be made directly to the student’s bank account upon successful completion of each unit.
The scholarship sponsor requests that the recipient:
- considers how their coursework or research might benefit LIONS activities and express this in the application
- provides strategic input to the executive and membership of the Brisbane Macgregor Lions Club on relevant issues like:
- improving volunteer membership and inspiring community service
- community and club membership needs analysis
- community engagement
- leadership and collaboration in the community.
About the scholarship
Lions Clubs meet the needs of our local communities and the world. The Lions Club of Brisbane Macgregor Inc. was chartered in 1971, committed to 'making our communities a better place to live, work and grow'.
Lions Club International is the world’s largest service organisation with more than 1.3 million members in more than 45,000 Clubs worldwide. Membership of Lions Club is open to men and women over 18 years and of good moral character and reputation. Your expression of interest to become a member of the Lions Club of Brisbane Macgregor is welcomed.
By collaborating with the ACPNS, Brisbane Macgregor Lions Club is investing in the long term development of the community service sector.