Contact us

PhD and research degree financial support

Tuition fees

Australian and New Zealand students

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder, or a New Zealand citizen, you won't need to pay tuition fees for your research degree, as long as you complete your degree within:

  • 4 years full-time (or equivalent) for doctoral students (PhD and professional doctorate)
  • 2 years full-time (or equivalent) for research masters students.

Within this period, your fees are automatically covered by the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic). This program covers tuition fees only; you must pay any other study-related costs. Before 1 January 2017, this program was known as the Research Training Scheme (RTS).

If you take longer than the specified time to complete your degree, you may be charged tuition fees for the rest of your study.

I'm transferring after starting my degree at another university

If you're transferring from another university, you can only transfer your Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic) (previously Research Training Scheme) funding entitlement if:

  • your former university supports the transfer and QUT agrees to continue your RTP Fees Offset
  • we receive information from your former university about how much of your RTP Fees Offset you've used, and the dates of your milestones.

Changing universities isn't sufficient grounds to apply for an extension on your RTP Fees Offset.

International students

If you don't receive a scholarship that covers your tuition fees, you must pay the full fees directly to QUT. You must pay your first semester's fees when you accept your offer and then you'll be invoiced before the start of each semester.

You may also be eligible for an Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset. Read the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (International) rules (PDF file, 140.22 KB).

Check your tuition fees

To get an idea of how much your course will cost, check the costs and scholarships in your course information.

We review fees annually.

You may be able to apply for other scholarships that cover tuition fees for all or part of your course.

Find scholarships for international research students

Other study-related costs and living expenses

Other study-related costs you may need to pay include:

  • professional registration (this is an entry requirement for some degrees)
  • thesis proofreading and editing, printing, and binding.

International students will need to pay additional costs, including costs related to your:

  • visa
  • travel
  • arrival in Australia
  • health cover
  • accommodation.

If you're an international student, you should check your visa for details on how much you can work while you're studying in Australia.

More information for international students coming to study at QUT

Centrelink payments

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder and intend to apply for Centrelink payments while you study, it is important to check your eligibility first, as this will depend on your individual circumstances.

You must declare any scholarship income you receive to Centrelink as it may affect your payments.


You may be able to apply for scholarships to help you with living costs.

Who can apply for scholarships?

We offer scholarships to many different types of students, for example, students who:

  • have performed well academically
  • are women
  • are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
  • are struggling financially.

There are also scholarships available to students studying certain courses or in particular faculties.

Find scholarships for research degree students

You can also search the Good Universities Guide scholarship collection.

When to apply for scholarships

Most of our scholarships are offered as part of our annual scholarship round. Applications for this round close on 30 September each year for students starting their degrees early the next year. If you apply during this round, we'll email you in early December to let you know the outcome of your application.

Annual scholarship round

We offer a smaller number of scholarships for students who apply outside the annual scholarship round. You may need to be nominated by your proposed faculty when applying for scholarships outside the annual scholarship round, including all top-up scholarships.

Some scholarships have specific application deadlines. Check the details of the scholarships you're interested in.

How to apply for scholarships

You must register your interest for a scholarship when you apply for your course by completing the 'Scholarship application' section of the research degree application form. Indicate on your application that you want to be considered for a scholarship as part of our annual scholarship round.

If you have already applied for admission and want to be considered in the annual scholarship round, register your interest by contacting the Research Students Centre.

Applications are due by 30 September.

I'm currently studying and don't have my final grades yet

If you're currently completing studies and the outcomes are relevant to your application (such as an honours or masters degree), you should submit an interim transcript of your grades.

If your interim grades are high enough, we may make you a conditional scholarship offer. You'll have to meet the conditions of the offer by 31 March the following year.

If you receive a conditional offer, you should advise the Research Students Centre of your actual outcome or result as soon as possible.

If the outcome/result confirms the predicted score then your score, rank and offer will be confirmed.

If your score is below or above the predicted score then your score and rank will be adjusted and your eligibility for an offer will either be confirmed or revised.

I'm already a QUT research student

If you're currently enrolled in a research masters, PhD or professional doctorate at QUT, you must apply online through HiQ during our annual scholarship round between 1 September and 30 September.

You'll need to include an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) outlining your research achievements. If you're applying for a Women's Re-entry Scholarship (WRE), you also need to submit a supporting statement about how you meet the scholarship criteria.

Accessing scholarship allowances

You can claim allowances for study costs up to 2 years after you complete your research degree. Check your scholarship's rules to determine if you're eligible for allowances.

To claim any allowances, complete the supplier maintenance form (DOC file, 60.5 KB) and submit it, along with your scanned receipts, to the research scholarships team.


Research Admissions

  • Level
    Level 4, 88 Musk Avenue
    Kelvin Grove QLD 4059
  • Postal address:
    Research Students Centre
    GPO Box 2434
    Brisbane, QLD, 4000

Research Scholarships

  • Level
    Level 4, 88 Musk Avenue
    Kelvin Grove
  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

  • Postal address:
    Research Students Centre
    GPO Box 2434
    Brisbane QLD 4001