New surface technique traps and kills COVID-19
Professor Prasad Yarlagadda collaborated on a method to kill COVID-19 virus on aluminium surfaces with a wet-etching technique.Learn more about the nano-pillar surface
Designing healthy food that lasts
Dr Charith Rathnayaka investigated the physics, mathematics and biology of agricultural cell structures. These insights can inform designs for faster, cheaper, and better ways to conserve food.Learn more about Dr Rathnayaka's findings
Queensland Young Tall Poppies
Congratulations to Dr Laura Bray who was announced as one of this year's Queensland Young Tall Poppies.Read about Dr Bray's research
New mask material fast-tracked to market
Dr Thomas Rainey and his research team have created a nanoparticle-removing material from agriculture waste. The material is now being fast-tracked to market.Find out more
World first for biomedical team
Years of research by Distinguished Professor Dietmar W. Hutmacher and his team resulted in the world's first 3D printed chest reconstruction implant. The results of this research changed a young medical student's life.Learn more about the breakthrough research
Our collaborations bring together economics, biology, medicine, engineering and sciences to design and develop new equipment and methods that improve the quality of human health and life. Our research outputs are wide ranging - from ‘The Drifter’, a floating device that delivers real-time data to defend against flash flooding and water pollution, to a 3D-moulded mattress that supported a 10-year-old patient during a lengthy spinal surgery. We are driven to find the best technological solutions to global challenges which achieve improved efficiency, maximum output and financial viability.
Biomechanics and Spine Research Group
Research into paediatric spinal deformity and other spine conditions to improve treatments and understanding of these disorders to ensure the best patient outcomes.
'I think the practical experience that I gained here while I'm at uni has been very helpful with a lot of projects that I'm doing. Even down to writing reports at uni, I know exactly how I would format a report and what the industry standard is like.'
'What I love about my course is the international opportunities - I got to go and study abroad in Denmark, and I'll be taking a two-week course in Norway at the start of next year. What I love even more is that this course provides me with the skill set to be a successful engineer.'
'I chose to study mechatronics as it focused on the design, control and interactions of both mechanical and electrical systems. By adding robotics as a second study area I gained further insight and depth. I’m now an automation engineer on working on control systems from individual robots to whole manufacturing lines.'
'When a family member received a cochlear implant I saw how medical engineering could provide a long-term solution to his hearing loss. I would love a career working to improve the health of individuals through the development and implementation of viable healthcare technology.'
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Design (Landscape Architecture)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Mathematics
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Mathematics
The core of our industry engagement is through our research and research training activities and our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs.
We partner with businesses and organisations from start-ups to multi-nationals and our scope of application is inclusive.
- Australian Coal Association Research Program
- Ecotech Biodeisel
- Energy Consumers Australia
- Fuchs Australia
- Honda Motor Company
- Mater Health Services
- Medtronic Australasia Pty Ltd
- Sealy Australia
- The Behaviour Change Collaborative
- The Mind Room
- Australian Maritime College – University of Tasmania
- Australian Research Council
- Children’s Health Queensland Hospital and Health Service
- Department of Education and Training
- Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
- International Marine Organisation
- Queensland Government (Advance Queensland)
- Queensland X-Ray
- Brain and Mind Centre, University of Sydney
- Duke University Sanford School for Public Policy
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Food Agility CRC
- Griffith University
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health
- James Cook University
- Metro North Hospital and Health Service
- Nanjing University
- Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Sun Yat-sen University
- University of Queensland
- University of Salzburg
- Wuhan University
- Zhejiang University
Our school brings together a diverse team of experts who deliver world-class education and achieve breakthroughs in research.
Explore our staff profiles to discover the amazing work our researchers are contributing to.