You are viewing Australian and NZ students' course information. Change to view international students' course information.
Apply now for mid-year entry
With more courses and places on offer, now's the time to start your study.
Prepare for leadership positions to boost your career and acquire new skills.
Your future starts now. Apply by 30 June 2018.
Early graduation options
You may be able to graduate sooner with:
- Ideal for educators who want to develop an advanced body of knowledge in professional education practices and recent developments in the field.
- Tailor the qualification to your interests and meet your professional development needs.
- Flexible study options include online and on campus classes.
- Commonwealth Supported Places available for Australian citizens and permanent visa holders, and New Zealand citizens (subject to change).
- If you are seeking a teaching qualification, graduate entry programs provide a pathway for graduates to become qualified early childhood, primary or secondary teachers.
|QUT course code||EU70|
|Attendance||Full-time or Part-time|
1.5 years full-time
3 years part-time
|Start month||2018 & 2019 February, July|
Other courses you may be interested in
- Master of Education (Double Major)
- Master of Education (Early Childhood Teaching)
- Master of Education (Early Years)
- Master of Education (Inclusive Education)
- Master of Education (Leadership and Management)
- Master of Education (STEM in Education)
- Master of Education (School Guidance and Counselling - General)
- Master of Education (Teacher-Librarianship)
- Master of Education (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - TESOL)
The Master of Education provides an opportunity for you to gain the most current knowledge. You can focus on topics that are of particular interest to you, and develop an advanced body of knowledge in professional education practices and recent developments in the field.
Check the course structures to see the full range of options. For the General Studies option you will not obtain a study area but will be awarded a Master of Education.
You can choose to study externally or on campus, and either part time or full time. All the lectures are recorded and study materials are available online. You can access these resources at any time to help you fit study into your lifestyle.
Past graduates have secured leadership positions within middle management in schools, within educational systems, and within a variety of other professional settings such as hospitals, government, and community organisations.
On entry, you will be assessed for advanced standing (credit) for 48 credit points (4 units) based on a completed Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level 8 or higher qualification in Education (An Honours year with a research component, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or higher), regardless of the age of the qualification. You do not need to apply for this credit.
Depending on your study area, you can receive up to 50 per cent advanced standing from masters or higher study completed in another program. Prior study must be current. Study over 10 years old is not normally considered. If you are applying for advanced standing for specific units, you will need to provide detailed unit/subject outlines from your previous study. These outlines must include learning outcomes, learning content, and assessment including word lengths. No advanced standing can be granted for undergraduate study, or postgraduate study at a lower level than masters.
You can also apply for advanced standing based on work or industry experience. Advanced standing is not able to be awarded for normal teaching experience. If you are responsible for an original academic work, such as creating a course and/or curriculum, or have published any original research, then you may be eligible for advanced standing for work or industry experience. The original academic work must be in excess of 5000 words.
If you intend to apply for advanced standing for prior study you can view more information and find out how to apply.
You can exit the course with a Graduate Certificate in Education following completion of any four masters units.
At the beginning of each year, it is imperative that you enrol in both semester 1 and semester 2. Please consult the ‘Details’ tab under Master of Education (General Studies) for course rules and useful links.
All course structures
Academic entry requirements
Master of Education - 1.5 year program
A completed recognised:
bachelor degree (or higher award) in education; or
bachelor honours degree (or higher award) in any field; or
bachelor degree in any field plus 5 years of related professional work experience.
Master of Education - 1 year program
A completed recognised honours degree in the field of education; or
A postgraduate degree (graduate certificate, graduate diploma or masters or higher) in the field of education
There are limited Commonwealth Supported places in this course. Places are likely to fill early so you are encouraged to apply for this course as soon as possible to secure a place.
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. We review fees annually, and they may be subject to increases.
2019: CSP $6,600 per year full-time (96 credit points) (subject to annual review)
2018: CSP $6,600 per year full-time (96 credit points) (subject to annual review)
Student Services and Amenities Fee
You may need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as part of your course costs.
HECS-HELP: loans to help you pay your course fees
You may not have to pay anything upfront if you're eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
You may also be eligible for Centrelink payments.
How to apply for Master of Education (General Studies)
You apply directly to QUT for all our postgraduate courses.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you have:
- Found all the courses you want to apply for. You can apply for up to 3.
- Checked important dates.
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked course costs and if you're eligible for financial support
- Checked if you're eligible for credit for prior learning
- Collected supporting documents (see application form)
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.