This course is only available to Australian citizens or permanent residents, and New Zealand citizens
Project and program leadership
The Master of Business - Executive (Complex Program Leadership) is a specialist coursework masters program specifically designed to develop program leaders with the skills and confidence to succeed in complex business environments.
- For experienced professionals who seek to enhance their leadership and business acumen, and accelerate their careers leading large and complex programs.
- Course complies with the Competency Standard for Complex Project Managers (CS-CPM) as maintained by the International Centre for Complex Project Management (ICCPM).
- Study part-time to suit your life and work.
- Participate in an international study tour.
- This is a sponsored program. Your enrolment must be sponsored by your employer.
- The course is open to Australian citizens and permanent residents, New Zealand citizens and holders of a non-student Australian temporary visa.
|QUT course code||GZ52|
|Course duration||3 years part-time|
|Start month||2019 February|
|Course contact||QUT Business School - Executive Master of Business|
Other courses you may be interested in
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Master of Business (Human Resource Management)
- Master of Business (Management)
- Master of Business (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies)
- Master of Business - Executive
- Master of Business - Executive (Strategic Procurement)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business/Master of Business
- Master of Engineering Management
- Master of Professional Engineering
- Master of Project Management
The Master of Business - Executive in Complex Program Leadership is an intensive program integrating academic knowledge, industry practice and self-awareness to expand horizons, challenge and enrich the workplace behaviour of each participant. It emphasises:
- understanding yourself
- influencing and leading others
- strategic planning
- innovative thinking
- holistic decision making.
The program builds upon the classical ‘reductionist’, procedural and controlled approach to project management, using holistic systems thinking to explore complex projects, those often characterised by ambiguity, emergence of numerous influential stakeholders, and new or integrated technologies.
The program is co-delivered with the Master of Business - Executive in Strategic Procurement. This allows for a classroom environment facilitating collaboration between project managers and commercial managers to foster an alignment of responsibilities and objectives, successfully delivering results in real world business environments.
The program complies with the Competency Standard for Complex Project Managers (CS-CPM) as maintained by the International Centre for Complex Project Management (ICCPM). The CS-CPM was originally developed by the Australian Department of Defence in concert with global government and industry organisations that recognise the need to reframe project management as project management and leadership.
Who should participate?
You should be an experienced project professional, seeking to enhance your leadership and business acumen, keen to accelerate your career to lead large and complex programs.
QUT’s Graduate Certificate in Business – Executive is also available to experienced practitioners who:
- only want to undertake a small subset of units from the Master of Business – Executive program
- seek a qualification to complement the major they’ve studied within the Master of Business – Executive program, or
- don’t meet the entry requirements for the Master of Business – Executive program.
This is a sponsored program, so your enrolment must be sponsored by your employer.
Previous participants have been drawn from:
- the Australian Department of Defence, Defence Materiel Organisation and the military
- other Australian government agencies including Customs, Immigration and Queensland Health
- industry organisations: Australian Aerospace, Aerospace Concepts, Australian Submarine Corporation, BAE Systems, Boeing, Ferra Engineering, John Holland, Kobold, Lockheed Martin, Mincom, Marand Precision, Qinetiq, Raytheon, Sikorsky, Thales, Watpac Construction and others
- international organisations: Canadian National Defence and Lockheed Martin (Fort Worth Texas).
The program is available through a combination of blended online learning and face-to-face seminars held at QUT's Gardens Point (city) campus.
Program duration is subject to successful progression and any QUT changes to the program format or delivery mode.
For more information on this program, please contact the QUT Graduate School of Business.
The Master of Business - Executive (Complex Program Leadership) (EMCPL) comprises 24 units of study, plus executive coaching and expanding horizons.
You have the option of exiting after successfully completing 8 units, and graduating with a Graduate Certificate in Business.
Units are delivered in teaching blocks, which are 7 weeks long on average.
Units of study
The academic units of study are grouped into three phases:
A. Understanding Yourself, Others and Complexity
- Strategic Management of Complex Projects
- Systems Thinking
- Self Realisation and Personal Development
- Problem Solving in Complex Environments
- Communicating Effectively
- Developing and Leading High Performance Teams
- Understanding Organisational Behaviour and Culture
- Workplace Project #1
B. Performing for Results
- Acquisition Strategies
- Complex Projects and the Law
- Financial Analysis and Decision Making
- Strategically Managing Risk
- Managing Innovation in Technology-Based Organisations
- Building Organisational Capability
- Business Planning
- Negotiation and Mediation Strategies
C. Leading for Results (Capstone)
- International Study Tour
- Implementation of Complex Projects
- Leadership for Results
- Planning and Implementing Change
- Managing Contract Relationships
- Accountability and Governance
- Stakeholder Engagement and the Media
- Capstone Workplace Project
- Build upon self-realisation and personal development.
- Challenge workplace behaviours.
- Reflect on opportunities and transfer the learning to the workplace.
- Option of post-course extension coaching.
- Challenging behaviours and perceptions.
- A safe learning environment to explore decision making and leadership through interactive case studies, debrief and reflection.
All course structures
Applicants must satisfy the following requirements for admission:
- Be sponsored by their employer; and
- Hold a completed recognised Bachelor Degree in any field with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 4.5 (on QUT's 7-point scale); and
- Have a minimum five years full-time post degree work experience with a minimum of three years relevant professional work experience and two years minimum supervisory/management experience in commercial or project management; and
- Provide a CV demonstrating relevant work experience
At the discretion of the Course Coordinator or nominee, applicants may also be required to:
- Sit the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), the worldwide standard in aptitude assessment for admission to postgraduate management programs, and achieve a minimum score of 550. GMAT details (PDF file, 271.78 KB)
- Attend an interview with the Course Coordinator or nominee
To discuss program costs, please contact Graduate School of Business - Executive Master of Business.
Student Services and Amenities Fee
You may need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as part of your course costs.
How to apply for Master of Business - Executive (Complex Program Leadership)
You should submit your application by 11 January in the year you intend to begin your studies.
Step 1: Complete a QUT application form
Australian citizens and permanent residents, and New Zealand citizens complete an application for postgraduate course admission form (PG form) (PDF file, 234.35 KB).
International participants complete an Application for admission to QUT as an international student form (F form) (PDF file, 258.19 KB) and include a copy of your Australian visa.
Step 2: Get written confirmation of sponsorship from your employer
You must provide a sponsorship letter that stipulates:
- company name
- Australian Business Number (ABN) (if relevant)
- office and postal address
- an administrative and financial contact person, phone number and email address.
The letter must also specifically confirm support for:
- the 3-year part-time program
- payment of program tuition fees
- payment of travel costs associated with the 2-week study tour (GSZ517/518) scheduled for September/October
- provision of an Apple iPad tablet and relevant applications
- provision of a laptop computer with Microsoft Office and wireless capability.
Step 3: Submit your application documents
Mail your completed application and original supporting documents to:
Queensland University of Technology
Graduate School of Business
EMCPM Program Administration
Level 4, B Block
GPO Box 2434
You must submit your application by mail, but to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible, email or fax it to us as well:
Fax: +61 7 3138 1299
Step 4: Accept your offer
If your application is successful, you'll receive a formal letter of offer from QUT, with instructions on how to accept your offer through our online system QUT Virtual.
You must accept your offer in QUT Virtual to participate in the course.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.