You are viewing Australian and NZ students' course information. Change to view international students' course information.
- Produce a substantial piece of research that contributes to the body of knowledge in your chosen specialisation.
- Maintain regular contact with supervisors and participate in University scholarly activities such as seminars, teaching and publication; a program of supervised research and investigation; and preparation of a thesis.
- External program candidates may research in a workplace away from QUT, either domestically or overseas.
|QUT course code||IF49|
Part-time or Full-time
Note: Part-time and external study options may be available depending on the project, infrastructure requirements and funding arrangements.
Note: The expected duration is three to four years full-time, or six to eight years part-time.
2014 & 2015
Note: Entry is available at any time subject to approval.
Other courses you may be interested in
QUT adopts a project management approach. PhD candidates work closely with their supervisory team to meet collegially reviewed milestones leading to timely submission of a thesis for examination. QUT is proud of its record of timely completions and low attrition rates realised by this approach.
During candidature the supervisor and other key stakeholders will provide advice and direction to the candidate to encourage their participation in university scholarly activities such as research seminars, teaching and publication. The length of the thesis varies according to the topic, but should normally be no longer than 100,000 words, excluding bibliography.
- IFN001 Advanced Information Retrieval Skills
- Time based Thesis
Other units as agreed by student in negotiation with their supervisor and faculty.
All course structures
Admission to the Doctor of Philosophy depends on an applicant’s demonstrated research aptitude and the availability of supervision, infrastructure and resources needed for the proposed research project.
An applicant would normally hold:
- a relevant first or second class division A honours degree or equivalent, or
- an appropriate Masters degree or Professional Doctorate (by research or coursework)
Masters and Professional Doctorates degrees by coursework must contain a significant research component, normally no less than 25%.
Holders of masters and Professional Doctoral by Coursework must:
- have a grade point average of at least 5.0 on a 7 point scale and
- present evidence of research experience and potential for approval
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. All fees are based on current fixed fee prices. We review fees annually.
Research Training Scheme funded. Tuition fees may apply for exceeding maximum time - 2015: $13,670 per Study Period (full-time) (subject to annual review)
Scholarships and financial support
You can apply for scholarships to help you with study and living costs.
These scholarships are available for this course:
How to apply for Doctor of Philosophy (Hosted by Science & Engineering Faculty)
You apply directly to QUT for all our research degrees.
Are you ready to submit your application?
You're ready if you have:
- Looked at our research areas
- Selected your degree
- Checked you meet the entry requirements
- Checked if you're eligible for a scholarship
- Agreed on a supervisor with your faculty
- Discussed your options and developed your topic
- Written your research proposal
- Gathered your supporting documents
All done? Then you're ready to apply.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.