STEM Camp 2020
Our science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) camp is back for 2020. Providing high-achieving Year 11 students with an exciting opportunity to attend an interactive week long camp, and engage in solving some of the major challenges facing our society and planet today.
Students will take advantage of our unique learning environment and have an opportunity to explore future study and career options inside QUT's world-class facilities.
Monday 28 September - Friday 2 October 2020 (school holidays)
8:30 am - 4:00 pm each day
The camp is free to attend, provided you meet the eligibility requirements.
For rural and regional students who meeting eligibility requirements, accommodation and transport will be provided. For students experiencing financial hardship, travel bursaries may also be provided (conditions apply). Find out more about costs, transport and accommodation.
To be accepted into this program, you must:
- be a current Queensland or Northern New South Wales Year 11 student
- demonstrate you received 2 or more VHA’s (A's) in at least one STEM subject in 2019 or Semester 1 2020
- obtain parental/guardian permission
- obtain a letter of recommendation from your Teacher, Head of Department or Principal
- be able to attend the entire camp.
Applications that do not include the correct or complete required documentation (i.e. Letter of Recommendation, Parental consent and 2019 Semester 1 and Semester 2 or Semester 1 2020 Academic Reports) on submission will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The decision of the Panel is final.
Please note: Current STEM Scholars are not eligible.
Apply for the QUT STEM Camp
Applications for the 2020 Camp have now been extended. Apply here before Thursday 23 July 2020 for your chance to experience this exciting STEM opportunity.
Health and Safety
To ensure the safety of camp participants we have put together the following guidelines to ensure all activities are conducted safely and in accordance to current government and university policy.
- Social distancing for workshop facilitators who will have sufficient room to maintain 1.5m distance between themselves and students
- Students will be provided with lab or workshop safety training as part of the experience and this will include hygiene measures
- Camp participants will adopt the same arrangements at camp as they do at school (i.e. no requirement for social distancing between students) although additional space for plenary sessions and workshops will be provided
- Students will be issued with personal hand sanitisers and adequate hand sanitiser available in activities with all benches, tables and computer equipment to be cleaned with disinfectant before and after each activity and in accommodation
- We ask that anyone feeling unwell to NOT attend the activities and isolate students immediately. Parents/guardians will be notified immediately and asked to collect their child
- Facilitators will remind all participants of hygiene practices while in session
QUT STEM Scholars Program
All STEM Conference students are inducted into the QUT STEM Scholars program.
QUT STEM Scholars program offers:
- access to apply for the QUT STEM Scholars Academic Scholarship
- access to the STEM Scholars virtual Facebook hub
- QUT STEM Ambassadors career advice
- invitations to exclusive STEM Education events and activities
- opportunities to assist QUT with user-testing of programs and workshops.