Our high school STEM internships invite high-achieving Year 12 students to apply for the opportunity to expand their skill sets beyond the classroom and explore future career ambitions with like-minded peers - all before university.
The rigorous program develops students' technical, leadership and critical thinking skills through a suite of on-campus practical learning, professional development and external assessment.
The feature of the program is a week-long experience in our state-of-the-art science and engineering facilities where students work in small groups on a research project of choice based on the work of leading QUT STEM experts.
As an intern, students will be treated like a real QUT undergraduate, enjoying student campus life, accessing facilities and online resources, and undertaking practical and written assessment to prepare them for university as a new generation STEM leader.
During the on-campus internship week, students will:
- upskill in a STEM area of interest through a hands-on research project
- work in small teams under the mentorship of esteemed QUT academics
- learn about university life from undergraduate STEM ambassadors
- network with industry to understand the workforce of the future.
Explore the Research internship projects for 2021
The internship program includes both written and practical assessment: a short pre-reading activity, the on-campus week, a final report and a presentation. STEM internship students are also inducted into the QUT STEM scholars program and eligible for exclusive benefits including scholarship opportunities on entering QUT.
Internship week: Tuesday 06 April - Friday 09 April, 2021 (Term 1 school holidays)
Students need to cover food (lunch) and travel costs each day to and from the placement. The program does not cover any accommodation or travel costs to attend.
To be accepted into this program, applicants must:
- be a current Year 12 student from Queensland or Northern New South Wales
- be studying and have received two or more As in Year 11 in at least one of the following:
- a science (physics, chemistry, earth and environmental science, marine or biology)
- Mathematical Methods or Specialist Mathematics
- Digital Solutions
- obtain parental/guardian permission
- be able to attend all internship program dates
- have not attended the QUT STEM Camp.
Note: Queensland/NSW border restrictions may change at any time and it is advised that Northern NSW students wanting to attend this event should carefully consider the potential impact on border crossings should restrictions be imposed during the time of this event. Current Queensland border restrictions can be found here
. QUT does not take responsibility for any costs associated with border restrictions.
Applications for 2021 are now closed.
Our STEM scholars program
The STEM scholarship program is a cohort of next generation STEM leaders that have been accepted into QUT’s exclusive STEM enrichment programs. All high school STEM internship participants are inducted into our STEM scholars program. The program offers:
- access to the STEM scholars virtual Facebook hub
- QUT STEM ambassadors career advice
- invitations to exclusive STEM education events and activities
- access to QUT STEM Scholars Academic Scholarship
- opportunities to help QUT develop and improve programs and workshops.