When: 19 March
Where: QUT Science and Engineering Centre (P Block), level 5
Statistics in Biology: Unit 3 Biodiversity and Ecology
This QUT Teacher Professional Development is designed to take you through some of the statistical analysis opportunities of the new Queensland Biology Syllabus. This hands on workshop will focus on Unit 3 Biodiversity and Ecology with content theory, statistical analysis and practical work that you can implement into your classroom to help your students excel.
Mandatory practicals will be explored combining diversity measures, sampling methods and surveying techniques within a local, real world context. Learn how to use RStudio, a free statistical software program used across universities that will allow your students to easily display and analyse their data in their Student Experiments.
This twilight session will cover -
- current research contexts in Ecology and Biodiversity;
- describing diversity measures and indices;
- sampling methods including stratified sampling and ecological surveying techniques;
- real sample data to learn how to use RStudio to display and analyse data;
- practical field work to collect, display and analyse data that could be used in a student experiment;
- statistical measures to analyse your data.
Date: Tuesday 19 March 2019
Time: 4pm - 7pm
Venue: QUT Science and Engineering Centre, level 5
Provided: Refreshments and certificate of professional development
Level: Appropriate for QLD Year 10 to 12 Biology teachers and Science HODs
Registration: As limited spaces are available, this event is limited to Year 10 to 12 teachers of STEM subjects who are currently teaching at schools in QLD and Northern NSW. Please complete registration and payment to secure your ticket. After payment is received you will receive a receipt to your nominated email address.