Our high school STEM internships invite high-achieving Year 11 and 12 students to apply for the opportunity to expand their skill sets beyond the classroom and explore future career ambitions with like-minded peers - all before university.
The rigorous program develops students' technical, leadership and critical thinking skills through a suite of on-campus practical learning, professional development and external assessment.
The feature of the program is a week-long experience in our state-of-the-art science and engineering facilities where students work in small groups on a research project of choice based on the work of leading QUT STEM experts.
As an intern, students will be treated like a real QUT undergraduate, enjoying student campus life, accessing facilities and online resources, and undertaking practical and written assessment to prepare them for university as a new generation STEM leader.
During the on-campus internship week, students will:
- upskill in a STEM area of interest through a hands-on research project
- work in small teams under the mentorship of esteemed QUT academics
- learn about university life from undergraduate STEM ambassadors
- participate in real first-year practical classes
- develop entrepreneurial skills with our renowned accelerator, QUT Foundry
- enjoy social activities and team bonding
- network with key industry to understand the workforce of the future.
Internship projects can change each year, and are based on a range of research work that has included:
- biomedical engineering
- robotic vision
- astrophysics and quantum mechanics
- infectious diseases
- mass spectrometry.
On completion of the internship program students will have done up to 50 hours of written and practical assessment. This includes a short pre-reading activity, the on-campus week, a final report and a presentation evening.
STEM internship students are also inducted into the QUT STEM scholars program and eligible for exclusive benefits including scholarship opportunities on entering QUT.
Internship week: Tuesday 14 April - Friday 17 April, 2020 (school holidays)
The internship program is fully-funded and requires no cost to students. The program does not include accommodation or travel.
The annual internship program accepts up to 40 students. To be accepted into this program, applicants must:
- be a current Queensland Year 11 or 12 student
- be studying and have received two or more VHAs in Year 11 or Year 12 in at least one of the following:
- a science (physics, chemistry, earth and environmental, or biology)
- Mathematics B or C
- Engineering Technology
- Computer Science
- be no older than 18 years of age
- obtain parental/guardian permission
- be able to attend all internship program dates
- have not attended the QUT STEM Camp.
Applications for the 2020 program will be released in late January.
To stay up-to-date subscribe to our mailing list
Our STEM scholars program
The STEM scholarship program is a cohort of next generation STEM leaders that have been accepted into QUT’s exclusive STEM enrichment programs. All high school STEM internship participants are inducted into our STEM scholars program. The program offers:
- access to the STEM scholars virtual Facebook hub
- QUT STEM ambassadors career advice
- invitations to exclusive STEM education events and activities
- access to QUT STEM Scholars Academic Scholarship
- research assistance for extended essay projects
- opportunities to help QUT develop and improve programs and workshops.