With the first cohort of Queensland Year 12 students graduating under the new QCE/ATAR system this year, there may be some uncertainty about what to expect. Read on for a summary of what you need to know about entry to QUT in 2021.
There are some things that are unknown that may be a source of concern for students, such as:
- course thresholds (these change from year to year in response to demand and are not known in advance)
- what ATAR a student will receive.
However there are a number of things that we know already about entry to QUT in 2021, that may help students and parents feel more in control of the process:
- while QUT continues to be in demand, it is likely that strong applicants with an ATAR of 70.00 or above will be able to gain a place at QUT in 2021—maybe not in their preferred course but at least get a start at QUT
- QUT has expanded the offer guarantee so students with an ATAR of 87.00 or above are guaranteed entry into a wide range of courses. More competitive courses are guaranteed at an ATAR of 93.00 or above. A small number of courses are excluded. Check the website or our publications for the offer guarantee information
- pathways to QUT through other study after school (uni, VET) will continue as will dual awards—offering guaranteed entry or competitive selection ranks
- students will have time to change their QTAC preferences once they know their ATAR
- selection ranks published in our books and online are a good indication of the equivalent ATAR
- students should continue to follow the existing advice about how to order their six QTAC preferences
- students who have experienced circumstances that have impacted their studies can apply for the EAS and receive selection rank adjustments to compensate.
QTAC is the best source of information about how ATAR is calculated and there are great online resources on the QTAC website.
An ATAR or completed International Baccalaureate Diploma is the minimum requirement for school leavers for entry to QUT. For more information see our entry to QUT in 2021 web page.