Ordering your preferences
You can list up to 6 courses on your QTAC application. You need to list them in order of preference from your most preferred course through to your least preferred course. You'll need to reorder your preferences if they have different major offer rounds.
When you apply through QTAC, you can apply for up to 6 courses at a time. You should think carefully about how you order them to give yourself the best chance of getting into the course you want.
If you change your mind about what you want to study after you’ve submitted your application, you’ll have the opportunity to change your preferences.
Worried you won't get into the course you want?
If you're worried that you won't get into the course that you want, you should think about your admission pathway options, and include some of them in your preferences.
Ordering your preferences
When you apply through QTAC, you can apply for up to 6 courses at a time, and order them according to your preference. If they have different major offer rounds, you'll need to order them according to the major offer round dates.
We recommend you use all 6 preferences to have the best chance of being offered a place in a course.
You should think carefully about how to order your preferences.
It's a good idea to talk to your school guidance officer, our staff or QTAC to make sure you have all the information you need.
How to order your preferences
You can use these steps as a guide:
- Order your courses according to your preference:
- first and second preferences for 'desired' courses that you want to study
- third and fourth preferences for 'back-up' courses that you want to study but are less competitive
- fifth and sixth preferences for other courses that will help you get into a course you really want. These should be courses that you're prepared study if you miss out on your other choices, and that are easier to get into.
- Check the major offer round date for each of your preferences. If all the courses you've listed have the same major offer round, then you don't need to do anything else. But if courses you're applying for have different major offer round dates, you should list them in order of their major offer round dates.
Changing your preferences
You can change your preferences after you submit your QTAC application through QTAC's application services portal.
Check the QTAC key dates for details on when you can change preferences.
You may want to change your preferences if:
- you change your mind about what you want to study
- your OP or selection rank is higher or lower than you expected
- you receive an offer for a course but would prefer to study a different course that’s offered in a later offer round.
Worried your OP or selection rank isn't high enough?
If you're worried that your results aren't enough to get into the course you want after receiving your OP or selection rank, you can change your preferences to apply for:
- a different course you're interested in
- a course that you can switch from into your preferred course later on.
Keep in mind that the OP and selection rank thresholds on our courses are a guide only. Thresholds can change from year to year or offer round to offer round, depending on the:
- number of people who apply
- standard of applicants (based on their OPs or selection ranks)
- number of places available in each course.
Early and top-up offer round thresholds can be higher than the major offer round threshold. And the mid-year major offer round thresholds can be higher than the January major offer round thresholds.
Received an offer but would prefer to study a different course?
If you receive an early offer but would like to study another course offered in a later offer round, you can rearrange your preferences after you receive the early offer by conditionally accepting, rejecting or deferring the offer. That means you'll be able to accept a new offer for your higher preference in a later offer round if you receive one.
HiQ is your place to go for student services, support and general enquiries.
- Phone: 3138 2000
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 2000
Need answers? Take a look at our frequently asked questions at AskQUT.
To start an online chat with us, please make sure pop-ups aren't blocked on your web browser.
Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.