Skip to content

Apply for your visa

Applying for your visa

When your acceptance is finalised, we will issue you your electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE) document. You can then:

  • apply for your visa
  • travel to Brisbane
  • attend orientation
  • start your studies at QUT.

How do I organise my visa?

Use your CoE to apply for your student visa through the Department of Home Affairs.

The Department of Home Affairs website can tell you what supporting documents you need to accompany your application. Once you have gathered these documents, you can apply for your visa online through the ImmiAccount application system.

If you are bringing your children to Australia, you must provide evidence that you are making arrangements for them to attend school while in Australia.

Visa assessment

Your application for a visa will be assessed by the Department of Home Affairs. In some countries, it might take a long time to process your visa, so make sure you leave plenty of time to apply.

Find more information about visa assessment processes on the Department of Home Affairs website.

I'm under 18 years old

If QUT is arranging appropriate accommodation or guardianship for you, we will issue a confirmation of appropriate accommodation/welfare (CAAW) with your CoE. You must have appropriate accommodation and guardianship organised before you accept our offer and before Department of Home Affairs will issue you your visa.

You must be living with a:

  • parent
  • person who has legal custody of you
  • relative.

If you are not living with any of these people, you must have a guardian or caregiver who meets our standards, and you must be placed in an approved homestay. Homestay will cost approximately $270 each week. You can register for homestay once you are enrolled.

Email for more information, or apply for a homestay. There is a $250 homestay application fee.

Under 18 Supervision Program

If you're an international student under 18 years of age, you'll also need to apply for our supervision program. To meet the requirements for your student visa, you must either be placed in an approved homestay or live with a parent, guardian or relative until you turn 18.

Under 18 Supervision Program application form (PDF file, 520.6 KB)

More about your visa requirements

Living with a friend or relative

If you want to live with a friend or relative in Brisbane who does not meet Department of Home Affairs definition of 'relative', we may be able to approve them as your homestay host. They will need to register as a homestay provider. If you want to do this, you will need to let us know at least 2 months before you arrive by emailing

Policy and procedures

Make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student.

Homestay and Under 18 Supervision Program risk management strategy (PDF file, 386.9 KB)

Under 18 international student policy and procedures (PDF file, 65.0 KB)

Get in touch

Australian and NZ students

International students

1800 181 848
(within Australia)

+61 3 9627 4853
(outside Australia)

Enquire online