Transforming personalised surgery
Researchers from our school lead the ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre for Joint Biomechanics. This centre's research will improve the treatment of Australians suffering from osteoarthritis and other joint-related orthopaedic disorders.About the new centre
Improving flows in rivers and estuaries
Professor Richard Brown received an ARC Linkage Grant for his project which implements real-time satellite monitoring for flow in rivers and estuaries. This flow system will provide stakeholders with more information to enable them to better manage issues including storm surge and corrosion.Read the full story
Award-winning research into 3D-printed body parts
Our PhD student Naomi Paxton is the first winner of an award worth up to $35,000 for her collaborative work with industry members to find innovative ways to 3D print body parts.About the award
Australia’s first pilot plant for lithium-ion batteries
Our researchers have produced Australia’s first lithium-ion battery after establishing the country’s only facility capable of such manufacturing.About the facility
Our collaborations bring together economics, biology, medicine, engineering and sciences to design and develop new equipment and methods that improve the quality of human health and life. Our research outputs are wide ranging - from ‘The Drifter’, a floating device that delivers real-time data to defend against flash flooding and water pollution, to a 3D-moulded mattress that supported a 10-year-old patient during a lengthy spinal surgery. We are driven to find the best technological solutions to global challenges which achieve improved efficiency, maximum output and financial viability.
Biomechanics and Spine Research Group
Research into paediatric spinal deformity and other spine conditions to improve treatments and understanding of these disorders to ensure the best patient outcomes.
Herston Biofabrication Institute
Advancing knowledge and technology in 3D scanning, modelling and printing of bone, cartilage and other human tissue to repair lost or damaged tissue.
'I think the practical experience that I gained here while I'm at uni has been very helpful with a lot of projects that I'm doing. Even down to writing reports at uni, I know exactly how I would format a report and what the industry standard is like.'
'What I love about my course is the international opportunities - I got to go and study abroad in Denmark, and I'll be taking a two-week course in Norway at the start of next year. What I love even more is that this course provides me with the skill set to be a successful engineer.'
'I chose to study mechatronics as it focused on the design, control and interactions of both mechanical and electrical systems. By adding robotics as a second study area I gained further insight and depth. I’m now an automation engineer on working on control systems from individual robots to whole manufacturing lines.'
'When a family member received a cochlear implant I saw how medical engineering could provide a long-term solution to his hearing loss. I would love a career working to improve the health of individuals through the development and implementation of viable healthcare technology.'
- Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Design (Landscape Architecture)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Mathematics
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Mathematics
The core of our industry engagement is through our research and research training activities and our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs.
We partner with businesses and organisations from start-ups to multi-nationals and our scope of application is inclusive.
- Australian Coal Association Research Program
- Ecotech Biodeisel
- Energy Consumers Australia
- Fuchs Australia
- Honda Motor Company
- Mater Health Services
- Medtronic Australasia Pty Ltd
- Sealy Australia
- The Behaviour Change Collaborative
- The Mind Room
- Australian Maritime College – University of Tasmania
- Australian Research Council
- Children’s Health Queensland Hospital and Health Service
- Department of Education and Training
- Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
- International Marine Organisation
- Queensland Government (Advance Queensland)
- Queensland X-Ray
- Brain and Mind Centre, University of Sydney
- Duke University Sanford School for Public Policy
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Food Agility CRC
- Griffith University
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health
- James Cook University
- Metro North Hospital and Health Service
- Nanjing University
- Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Sun Yat-sen University
- University of Queensland
- University of Salzburg
- Wuhan University
- Zhejiang University