Predicting our fate with extragalactic exploration
Postgraduate student Georgia Hartzenberg is using data science to analyse 60,000 galaxies to determine the ultimate fate of galaxies far, far away – back to when the universe was about 1.5 billion years old.Read about Georgia's research
Diamonds the ‘crown jewel’ in future electronics
Associate Professor Dongchen Qi from the Centre for Materials Science led research that transformed the humble diamond into a powerful semiconductor capable of handling high-voltage, high-power operations in conditions too extreme for silicon devices.Read about the research on The LABS
Experience science in 360°
Interact with our 360° experience of labs, facilities and student life and get a taste of what it’s like to study science at QUT – all from your own computer.Take the tour
Plasma physics pioneer
Professor Kostya (Ken) Ostrikov received the title of Doctor Honoris Causa, an honorific award in recognition of his achievements in nanotechnology and plasma physics.Read about Professor Ostrikov's achievements
Plastics that can end ocean waste
With 2020 being the 100 year anniversary of modern plastics, Dr Hendrik Frisch is developing an innovative technique to make tailored, remotely-controllable plastics and other polymers.Read the article on The LABS
We specialise in research covering diverse topics, including:
- studies of particles, fields and radiation and their interaction with matter
- the design, synthesis, characterisation and study of the properties of molecules and materials
- the implementation of these molecules and materials in various applications.
Our outcomes have included finding cheaper and efficient materials for storing renewable energy, and determining the elasticity of crystals down to the atomic level.
Our academics actively research in the Molecular Recognition and Sensors research group where we design, manufacture and discover new application for nanosensors. Outcomes from this research include electrochemical sensors that quickly identify illicit drugs and a novel method for detecting rhuEPO doping in athletes.
While past societies depended on stone or bronze or iron, it's materials such as silicon and polymers that are supporting and transforming the world today. Our Materials Science and Engineering research group investigates existing materials and designs and optimises new materials that are efficient and sustainable.
"QUT not only gave me scientific training and skills, but also the ability to diversify into broad science opportunities. A career highlight has been working in India for PepsiCo as a water quality specialist for a water re-use initiative."
"QUT's physics degree allowed me to learn about different areas such as astro, quantum, mechanics, thermodynamics and radiation. My classes were very hands on and I got to practise on equipment such as electron microscopes to study nano-sized structures and particles."
- Bachelor of Communication (Professional Communication)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Design (Landscape Architecture)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Games and Interactive Environments
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Mathematics
The core of our industry engagement is through our research and research training activities and our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs.
We partner with businesses and organisations from start-ups to multi-nationals and our scope of application is inclusive.
- Australian National University
- Australian Synchrotron
- Deakin University
- Fraunhofer Institute, Germany
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Monash University
- University of New South Wales
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Western Australia
- University of Wollongong
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- Department of Education and Training
Our school brings together a diverse team of experts who deliver world-class education and achieve breakthroughs in research.
Explore our staff profiles to discover the amazing work our researchers are contributing to.