Robotics platforms for schools
Based on QUT’s expertise in robotics and real-world learning, this STEM Teacher Professional Development workshop will introduce teachers to a series of robotics platforms ideal for use in high schools.
The rise of robotics and coding is changing the way digital technologies are taught in classrooms across Queensland, with the application of these systems becoming an interactive way to engage students in STEM. Recommended for teachers who are new to the use of robotics in education, this event will provide attendees with an insight into which platforms are most suitable for their school.
Across the full-day event, QUT’s experienced educators will demonstrate a series of robotic platforms that are used in our educational experiences, including:
- littleBits - easy-to-use electronic building blocks
- Sphero – spherical robots controlled by a smartphone or table
- LEGO Mindstorms EV3 – customisable LEGO robotics kits
- Arduino – open-source electronics platform with easy-to-use hardware and software
This Teacher PD will provide teachers with:
- an understanding of where programming sits in the curriculum and how robotics platforms can be used to teach students coding
- an opportunity to experiment with robotics platforms to understand the benefits and challenges of each
- inspiration and supporting resources to start implementing a robotics culture at their school
This workshop is appropriate for Year 7+ teachers, beginner level. The event registration fee includes lunch, refreshments and a certificate of professional development.
Explore a variety of robotics platforms in this full-day Teacher PD workshop.