Vision and goals
Science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) and urban development are the engines of growth driving modern society, and they have a wide-reaching impact on our everyday lives. As Australia moves towards a knowledge-based economy, investing in research and education in these fields is an investment in our future economic, social and environmental prosperity.
Our vision is to shape future environments through world-leading science and engineering research and innovation. We're building a better future though world-leading teaching and learning.
We will achieve this by:
- providing innovative, world-class teaching, leading to outstanding graduates
- carrying out cutting-edge, high-impact research
- building productive, sustainable and global partnerships
- supporting a thriving community empowered to achieve academic excellence.
We focus our research and teaching on 21 disciplines within 6 schools.
Chemistry, Physics and Mechanical Engineering School
- Nanotechnology and molecular science
- Energy and process engineering
- Biomedical engineering and medical physics
- Mechanical sciences and asset management
Civil Engineering and the Built Environment School
- Construction and project management
- Property and planning
- Civil engineering and transport
Earth, Environmental and Biological Sciences School
- Earth sciences
- Biological sciences
- Environmental systems
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science School
- Vision and signal processing
- Computer-human interaction
- Information security
- Data science
- Power engineering
- Robotics and autonomous systems
Information Systems School
- Business process management
- Information ecology
- Service sciences
Mathematical Sciences School
- Applied and computational mathematics
- Statistics and operations research
All of our schools and disciplines conduct research, developing new ideas that transform the work of industry and government. We're recognised for our valuable and long-standing relationships with leading industry partners, and the real-world outcomes of our research and development.
Our key research strengths are:
- robotics and computer vision
- plant biotechnology
- data science
- biomedical engineering
- materials science and engineering
- computational modelling and simulation science
- business process management.
We contribute to QUT’s multidisciplinary research institutes, which are developed in partnership with industry and government. The Institute for Future Environments studies our natural, built and virtual environments, and finds ways to make them more sustainable, secure and resilient. Our researchers working in the Institute for Health and Biomedical Innovation deliver research outcomes across three broad health areas: prevention, mind and body health, and recovery.
The quality of our research has attracted significant external funding. We also headquarter the Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellence for Robotic Vision, and have major involvement in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Mathematical and Statistical Frontiers of Big Data, Big Models, and New Insights.
We offer strategic partnerships across research, including consultancy and expert witness services, professional development and student programs. We have longstanding relationships with industry partners like Brisbane Airport Corporation, Boeing, Shell and SAP.
These connections give our students experience with real-world industry and provide mentoring opportunities through local and international internships, group tours, work experience placements and site visits.
Our Science and Engineering Centre is the university’s largest investment in science and engineering infrastructure. Its dynamic design features collaborative and innovative learning and research environments, including The Cube, one of the world’s largest digital labs and interactive learning and display spaces. We also provide access to high-tech laboratories and workshops in Brisbane and research sites across Queensland.
General enquiries and student services
- Phone: 3138 8822
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 8822
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Level 3, O Podium
2 George St
- Postal address:
QUT Science and Engineering Faculty
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane QLD 4001