The use of user data in games and immersive environment analytics is now pervasive. These software frameworks enable the sampling of embodied user data from the immersive VR environment, such as head movements, controller movements, audio data, and other data. In addition, toolkits are provided to analyse the extracted data. Such resources are also required for non-commercial Computer Human Interaction research.
In this project you'll create a data sampling and analysis software framework to be used within the Unity games engine and Steam VR.
The project involves two main components that will be configured to suit the students' skillsets:
- build surveys in VR - provide a general easy to implement user menu framework that facilitates the creation of easy to use, in-situ VR surveys and configuration tools for data to be exported from the VR world
- dashboard analytics - a web interface that imports/exports, filters and displays the VR analytics data for researcher consumption.
- a literature review
- example new interface designs for survey elicitation in VR/AR
- a demonstrated minimum viable prototype using Unity/Unreal game that uses new interfaces.
Skills and experience
We expect you to have skills in:
- analytics tools
- web back-end dashboard development.
You'll need to learn to program leading edge eye tracking headsets and data gloves for data capture.
Contact the supervisor for more information.