The overall objective of this research, in conjunction with previous research undertaken by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR), is to determine how the type, mass and length of heavy vehicles affects the type, severity and rate of crashes.
The objective of this specific piece of research is to determine how parameters such as speed limits, traffic volumes and road infrastructure affects the type, severity and numbers of heavy vehicles crashes.
As part of the research project, you be involved in:
- analysing crash data supplied by TMR
- undertake a literature review
- develop predictive equations for heavy vehicle crashes per year
- prepare a report on the findings.
As a result of this project, we expect the following outcomes:
- predictive models for heavy vehicle crash rates (crashes per year).
- comparison of the crash rates for heavy vehicle types
- recommendations as to the safest heavy vehicles to transport freight in urban areas, rural highways and motorways.
Skills and experience
To be considered for this project, you should have a strong background in statistics.
Contact the supervisor for more information.