Recent commentary from the ACCC, consumer groups, State Health Departments in the media report:
- very significant increases in private health insurance premiums
- reductions in the scope of cover
- sale of products unsuited to the insureds in question (for example, sale of maternity/pregnancy products to retirees while excluding medical conditions like to manifest in the particular age groups targeted).
Given the importance of private health insurance in Australia there is considerable scope to:
- analyse the changes to the scope of health insurance cover
- procure data relative to cost increases and new exclusions
- review product disclosure and marketing practices relative to target audience.
If you are interested in this research topic as part of the Master of Philosophy (Accountancy) you may be eligible for our School Accelerate Scholarship. The Accelerate Scholarship, contact our Accountancy HDR Program Coordinator.
Contact the supervisor for more information.