Join U.S. concussion expert and thought leader Dr John Sullivan founder and CEO of U.S. based Clinical & Sports Consulting Services. A clinical sport psychologist and applied sport scientist for Providence College and the University of Rhode Island.
Dr John Sullivan has worked extensively with the National Football League (NFL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA), Major League Soccer (MLS), Olympic athletes and military elite performers.
John will discuss that athletes and coaches may be reluctant to properly attend to concussions when the stakes are high, as losses are deemed to outweigh benefits of removing athletes from play. It's everyone's responsibility to ensure athletes can reach their full potential on and off the field, and that starts with education, rapid detection, and treatment.
His presentation will be followed by a panel discussion, technology showcase and networking over drinks and canapes.
• Dr Mark Young Sports Physician and co-Medical Director of QSportsmedicine.
• Professor Lyn Griffiths, QUT Genomics Research Centre Geneticist and Executive Director of QUT’s Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation.
• Facilitated by A/Professor Evonne Miller, Director of QUT Design Lab and design psychology researcher.
During the networking event, the QUT Design Lab will showcase three interactive medical products:
- Professor Allan Hahn, University of Canberra: Boxing Gloves designed to reduce concussion incidence.
- Dr Rafael Gomez, QUT Design Lab Industrial Designer: Wearable design for Parkinson's Disease patients.
- Dr Marianella Chamorro-Koc, QUT Design Lab researcher and Damjan Jacanin QUT Industrial Designer: Concussion Management Pillow.
Concussion is a common sports injury; however, more than 50% of head injuries are not diagnosed and treated. Join QUT's Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation and QUT Design Lab discussing technology, management and risks of sports related concussion.
- 08 May 2018 - 08 May 2018
- 5pm-6pm Public seminar and discussion 6pm-7pm Medical product showcase and networking
- The Atrium, P Block, 2 George Street, Gardens Point campus
- Free register https://qutconcussion.eventbrite.com.au
- QUT's Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation and QUT Design Lab
- IHBI Events
- (07) 3138 6082
- Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
- Calendar Event
- Add Event to Calendar
U.S. concussion expert Dr John Sullivan visits QUT to discuss innovative technology in managing sports related concussion.