Eight teams from around the globe have secured their place in the final rounds of the Ian Fletcher International Insolvency Law Moot 2017; a first-of-its-kind mooting competition sponsored by the QUT Faculty of Law, INSOL International and the International Insolvency Institute.
Their success follows a challenging written round in which a fictional problem, rich in international insolvency issues, put their legal research and writing skills to the test.
Applying their knowledge of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency, the teams considered the liquidation of ‘Car Parts Manufacturing’, a company based in the hypothetical jurisdiction of ‘Nuzilia’.
Having built their arguments for and against the troubled company, students hailing from North America, India and the Asia Pacific will travel to Sydney to plead their case before distinguished international judges from academia, industry and the judiciary.
For a coveted grand final spot, the teams must progress through two further rounds at the University of Sydney Law School - the preliminary and semi-final oral rounds will whittle the teams down to the very best.
A thrilling showdown at the Federal Court of Australia on 17 March will see the grand-finalists showcase their skills before a distinguished international panel of:
- Chief Justice James Allsop (Federal Court of Australia);
- Lord Justice David Richards (Royal Courts of Justice); and
- Hon Allan Gropper (Retired Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District New York).
The finalists are:
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, United States of America
- Deakin University, Australia
- Hidayatullah National Law University, India
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Singapore Management University, Singapore
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- University of British Columbia, Canada.
The Fletcher Moot is being held in conjunction with the INSOL 2017 Tenth World Quadrennial Congress in Sydney. It will take place immediately prior to the congress on 15 - 17 March 2017.
Fletcher Moot finalists will compete in Sydney in March 2017
Faculty of Law
- Phone: 3138 2707
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 2707
Level 4, C Block
2 George St
Brisbane QLD 4000
- Postal address:
QUT Faculty of Law
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane QLD 4001
Got a question?
The Faculty of Law support team is here to help.