Step 9: Apply for a visa

Once you've accepted your offer, you'll need to apply for a student visa.

Once you've returned your acceptance of offer and paid your fees, we'll issue you with your electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE).

How do I organise my visa?

Use your eCoE to organise your student visa through an Australian embassy or consulate. If your application is successful, you'll be issued with a Multiple Entry Visa, which allows you to travel to and from Australia within the period for which your student visa is recognised.

Your application will be assessed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

You'll also need to have a medical examination, and provide evidence of your Overseas Student Health Cover.

In some countries, it might take a long time to process your visa, so make sure you leave plenty of time to organise it.

If you're bringing your children to Australia, you must provide evidence that you're organising for them to attend school.

Your visa assessment level

When you apply for your visa, you must apply for the correct type of visa. Your assessment level will be determined by where you're from and what you want to study.

Depending on your assessment level, you will need to meet certain English proficiency and financial requirements. Make sure you read all the requirements of your visa carefully.

Visa assessment levels (Department of Immigration and Citizenship)

I'm under 18 years old

You must have appropriate accommodation and guardianship organised before DIAC will issue you your visa. Once you have appropriate accommodation or guardianship arranged, we can issue a confirmation of appropriate accommodation/welfare (CAAW) with your eCoE.

You must be living with a:

  • parent
  • person who has legal custody of you
  • relative.

If you're not living with any of these people, you must have a guardian or caregiver who meets our standards, and you must be placed in an approved homestay. Homestay will cost $250 each week.You can register for homestay once you're enrolled.

Recommended guardianship providers:

Living with a friend or relative

If you want to live with a friend or relative in Brisbane who doesn't meet DIAC's definition of 'relative', we may be able to approve them as your homestay host. They'll need to register as a homestay provider. If you want to do this, you'll need to let us know at least 2 months before you arrive.


International Admissions

  • Postal address:
    QUT Admissions
    Victoria Park Road
    Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059