Step 10: Apply for a visa

Once you have accepted your offer, you will need to apply for a student visa.

How do I organise my visa?

Once you have returned your acceptance of offer and student declaration, and paid your fees, we'll issue you with your electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE). Use your CoE to organise your student visa through an Australian embassy or consulate.

You must nominate the embassy or consulate where you will be applying for your visa on your acceptance of offer form, and you must apply for your visa at this embassy. If you make a mistake or need to change embassies, we will cancel your CoE and issue you a new one, which can delay your visa application process.

In some countries, it might take a long time to process your visa, so make sure you leave plenty of time to organise it.

If you are bringing your children to Australia, you must provide evidence that you are organising for them to attend school.

Visa assessment

Your application for a visa will be assessed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Find more information about visa assessment processes via the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

I'm under 18 years old

You must have appropriate accommodation and guardianship organised before DIBP will issue you your visa. Once you have appropriate accommodation or guardianship arranged, we can issue a confirmation of appropriate accommodation/welfare (CAAW) with your CoE.

You must be living with a:

  • parent
  • person who has legal custody of you
  • relative.

If you are not living with any of these people, you must have a guardian or caregiver who meets our standards, and you must be placed in an approved homestay. Homestay will cost $250 each week. You can register for homestay once you are enrolled.

We recommend EduGuard International and International Student Alliance as guardianship providers.

Living with a friend or relative

If you want to live with a friend or relative in Brisbane who does not meet DIBP's definition of 'relative', we may be able to approve them as your homestay host. They will need to register as a homestay provider. If you want to do this, you will need to let us know at least 2 months before you arrive.


International Admissions

  • Postal address:
    QUT Admissions
    Victoria Park Road
    Kelvin Grove, QLD, 4059

Stay connected

Please wait…

Get just the information you want on courses, scholarships and events.