Supporting your research
From concept to completion, we can support the entire medical devices research and development cycle at one site, including:
- consultation with leading clinical and scientific experts that can cover study design, ethical approval and budgeting
- in vivo models designed using surgical and veterinary expertise
- post-operative care
- medical imaging including X-ray, clinical computed tomography and micro computed tomography
- mechanical testing
- histology and histomorphometry
- compilation of publications, reports and presentations.
The expertise of our staff and researchers includes:
- clinical and scientific experts for study design and development
- preclinical research in mice, rat, rabbits, sheep and pigs
- surgical training in human donors, pigs and sheep
- in vivo digital X-ray and fluoroscopy, image analysis and visualisation
- microCT, CT and MRI of necropsy specimen, image analysis and visualisation
- biomechanical testing
- histology, histomorphometry and immunohistochemistry from paraffin and resin-embedded samples
- preparation of presentations, reports, and publications.
We specialise in establishing new experimental models, and our existing research models include:
- osteoporosis (rat)
- fracture healing (mouse, rat, sheep)
- critical size bone defect (mouse, rat, sheep)
- cancellous and cortical bone defects (rat, rabbit, sheep)
- osteoarthritis (rat, sheep)
- osteochondral defects (sheep, pigs)
- biomaterial evaluation (rat, rabbit, sheep)
- spinal fusion (sheep).
We were awarded GLP accreditation by the National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia in January 2016.
Medical Engineering Research Facility
- Phone: 3138 6938