Improved health through research innovation
We are delivering cutting-edge multidisciplinary medical and health research solutions to create a better life for individuals and our community.
The Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI) is a multidisciplinary health and biomedical research institute devoted to improving the health of individuals and communities through research innovation.
We use the latest technology, our broad-ranging expertise and innovative thinking to bridge the gap between health priorities and research advances:
We conduct research in disease susceptibility to identify environmental, genetic and/or behavioural factors involved in risk of disease or injury, in order to develop prevention strategies.
The research involves building support systems for clinicians, patients and the community relating to:
- nutrition, exercise and wellness
- disease and injury risk factors
- workplace health and safety
- road safety.
We also measure, analyse and determine the health impacts of pollutants, climate, hydration, UV radiation and climate change on people's health.
We aim to develop early intervention strategies and technologies to prevent disease progression, complications, onset of ageing, injuries, and incorrect healing.
The research aims to make improvements through:
- effective and efficient treatment regimes
- judicious use of medicines
- provision of health and social support
- social, behavioural and environmental change
- correction of social inequities
- introduction of the latest ocular technologies.
We partner with pharma and clinicians to develop medicines for targeted treatments, biomaterials for tissue repair and regeneration, technology for early diagnosis, and programs to help people live healthy lives following treatment.
We ensure knowledge and technology stemming from research make a difference to people with diseases, injuries and issues related to ageing by translating them into:
- support services
- improved systems and technologies.
Our researchers partner with other universities, hospitals, medical research institutes, industry and government.
We focus on commercial applications, encompassing:
- vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostic tests
- medical, opthalmic and rehabilitation devices
- and health management systems.
Our teams are multidisciplinary, so complete pictures are built up that include underlying biologics, genetic risks, social and environmental factors, human behaviour, clinical care, and wellness after treatment.
We use the latest technology to understand the human body, analyse environmental factors and genetic risks, and understand disease behaviour and progression. We use technology to:
- develop diagnostics and vaccines
- develop treatments for managing chronic conditions
- develop rehabilitation devices
- encourage bone and tissue repair
Investment in technology underpins our expertise in biological, behavioural and clinical sciences, biofabrication, biomedical engineering, molecular modelling, health technologies and intelligent transport technologies.
Combining technology and expertise builds research capacity, achieves critical mass and drives translation of knowledge into products and services.
- Improve the health of individuals and communities through research innovation.
- Create an environment that encourages interdisciplinary research collaboration.
- Nurture students and young researchers in one of the best training environments in Australia.
- To deliver cutting-edge medical and health research.
- To use our expertise, knowledge and resources to deliver positive health outcomes.
- To ensure that our knowledge benefits the largest number of people that we can.
Our researchers are experts in health, science and biomedical engineering, drawn from QUT's Faculty of Health, and Science and Engineering Faculty. We have over 900 members.
What's unique about us?
We break down the usual boundaries
- Bringing together Australia's most creative and innovative minds in health, science and biomedical engineering research.
- Creating synergy and creativity in research by allowing experts from different fields to interact and work together in collaborative teams.
We support translational research
- Creating partnerships between health care teams in clinics and researchers in our laboratories and research facilities.
- Bringing new treatments and approaches to patients as quickly as possible.
We are nurturing the future leaders in science and health
- Training students from Australia and all over the world in our new, more collaborative style of research.
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI)
- Phone: 3138 6000
- Fax: 3138 6030
60 Musk Avenue
- Postal address:
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane QLD 4001