Our facility enables scaled-up research in traditional engineering, industrial biotechnology and scientific applications, testing and validation.
- two warehouses of 1,500m2 and 1,000m2 with specialised labs, workshops and engineering infrastructure
- office space of 500m2 with hot desks, a meeting room, a conference room and a technical library
- uncovered hard stand area of 2,000m2.
Research projects include the development of pilot equipment and processes for industry partners as well as long-term monitoring of industrial products.
The broad areas of research conducted at Banyo are:
- mechanical and manufacturing engineering
- power and energy engineering, high-voltage testing and solar applications
- applied superconductivity in maritime propulsion, power equipment and defence applications
- water and wastewater engineering, including stormwater evaluation and desalination
- environmental and ecological materials processing, including whole organism treatment
- biofuels and biocommodity production
- tropical and subtropical aquaculture
- rock preparation and crushing, thin section preparation and core handling
- plasma reactor development and Parr reactor operation
- sugar research including biomass processing and instrument development.
Our state-of-the-art pilot plant allows for a range of research and discovery.
|Structural testing||A scientific and industrial lab for heavy mechanical and structural testing, including high temperature and flame conditioning. It includes a 5t gantry crane and 2.5t forklift for heavy lifting, 100m2 of strong floor (up to 500kN), and a six-burner gas furnace that can deliver up to 1000°C.|
|Electrical testing||A power engineering lab for experimental and qualification testing of both high-voltage and low-voltage devices, and characterisation of superconducting materials.|
|Geological sample preparation and analysis||A geological lab for preparing and analysing samples, with equipment for rock cutting and crushing, core logging, thin sections and soil analysis.|
|Aquaculture||A large aquarium for studying fresh-water organisms and the impact of controlled environmental factors.|
|Data acquisition||Labview data logging systems for collecting data and test reports.|
|Mechanical workshop||For construction, fitting and assembly work, with a lathe, milling machine, grinders, drill press, vice, hand tools and a large selection of nuts, bolts and different materials.|
|Electrical workshop||An assembly facility for small projects, including printed circuit board (PCB) design and construction.|
|Services||Walk-in cold room; single and three phase power; compressed air; deionised water.|