Catalyst for change
The IFE is a catalyst for:
- Addressing global challenges that build a strong Australia, with a competitive economy
- Delivering innovations through transdisciplinary collaboration
- Nurturing the entrepreneurial spirit of researchers
- Inspiring a generation to recognise STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) as being at the heart of the country’s competitiveness
The IFE addresses social and economic challenges in a range of key sectors, including agriculture, mining, environmental management, infrastructure, manufacturing, services and information communication and technology.
We collaborate with partners at every stage of the innovation process – from identifying problems and questions to developing new technologies, techniques and ideas through to final application and/or commercialisation.
Research that matters
We draw on the strengths of QUT’s faculties and schools, and the expertise of well-established research centres such as the Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities. We respond to the challenges of industry, government and society by assembling transdisciplinary research teams, managing the research and innovation process and profiling the impact of our research.
The IFE’s research program comprises four research themes and three enabling platforms. Our research themes are linked to specific societal challenges and sectors of the economy:
- Growing the Global Bioeconomy
- Managing for Resilient Landscapes
- Infrastructure for Sustainable Communities
- Embracing the Digital Age
Our enabling platforms are technologies, techniques and systems that can solve a wide range of problems for industry and society:
Our research themes and enabling platforms harness the disciplinary strengths of QUT’s faculties and schools, and are closely aligned with the Australian Government’s and Queensland Government’s Science and Research Priorities, which articulate the areas of greatest significance to the state and the nation.
Research infrastructure enabling discovery, deployment and demonstration
IFE has state-of-the-art research infrastructure capabilities and expertise in digital data and e-research; characterisation, analysis and ‘omics’; prototyping and fabrication; robotics and autonomous systems; and environmental systems and monitoring.
Our facilities play a vital role in supporting research on a scale beyond the reach of individual research groups or disciplines. The technical staff in our facilities work closely with researchers and clients to identify and implement the best solutions to their problems.
Our facilities include:
- Central Analytical Research Facility (CARF)
- Samford Ecological Research Facility (SERF)
- Banyo Pilot Plant Precinct
- Mackay Renewable Biocommodities Pilot Plant
- Visualisation and eResearch (ViseR)
- Research Engineering Facility (REF)
Our plans for changing the world - for real
Our strategy is founded on three Key Priorities:
- Delivering transdisciplinary research and innovation
- Developing state-of-the-art research infrastructure
- Facilitating transdisciplinary research culture and sustainability.
Institute for Future Environments
- Phone: 3138 9500
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 9500
- Fax: +61 7 3138 4438
Level 6, P Block
2 George St
Brisbane QLD 4000
- Postal address:
Institute for Future Environments
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane QLD 4001