We are a recognised leader in education research, with a global outlook and an international reputation as an exceptional education research faculty. We foster a strong intellectual climate and provide support for our academic researchers and research students with the aim of:
- achieving excellence in research
- generating real world impact
- building research capacity in staff and research students.
Excellence in education research
We undertake high-calibre work in selected areas to generate evidence-based education research and achieve significant public, commercial and practical benefit for the community and our partners.
We are a recognised leader in research and research training, as evidenced by our 'above world standard' ranking overall in the 2010, 2012 and 2015 national Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assessments.
In 2015, we were one of only two universities in Australia to receive 'well above world standard rating' in curriculum and pedagogy. We also rated above world standard overall for education, and in the fields of education systems and specialist studies in education.
We have an outstanding track record of securing competitive funding and delivering commercial research projects.
We are consistently in the top two universities in Australia for Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery and Linkage grants, and have a track record of success with prestigious fellowships.
We currently have an ARC Future Fellow, Professor Susan Danby, who is investigating mobile technologies in children's everyday worlds.
We lead the country in the number of Discovery Early Career Researcher Awards (DECRA) awarded to education researchers. Our current DECRA recipients are:
- Dr Alberto Bellocchi, whose research is looking at engaging science students emotionally by fostering positive social bonds
- Dr Sonia White, whose research investigates supporting children's early mathematics development
- Dr Laura Scholes, whose research is identifying factors involved in boys' underachievement in reading, and implementing an intervention to improve reading outcomes.
Significant research programs
Significant recent funding we've received includes:
- Program 2, Autism CRC
- Professor Suzanne Carrington, as Director of the Program 2 research project for the Cooperative Research Centre for Living with Autism Spectrum Disorders (Autism CRC), was awarded $31 million in 2013. This project is investigating appropriate educational environments for students with autism spectrum disorders, and identifying programs that optimise students' social, behavioural and academic success.
- Exceptional Teachers for Disadvantaged Schools (EDTS) program
- In 2013, Associate Professor Bruce Burnett and Associate Professor Jo Lampert secured $2 million in funding from the Origin Foundation to undertake a 3.5-year program to extend the Exceptional Teachers for Disadvantaged Schools (ETDS) program into six more universities. This program assists high quality preservice teachers to prepare for teaching in low-SES schools and has recently received additional funding through the ARC Linkage scheme and other philanthropic organisations.
- PRIME Futures Program
- In June 2015, the YuMi Deadly Centre was chosen by CSIRO to deliver a mathematics education program as part of an Indigenous STEM Education project managed by CSIRO in partnership with the BHP Billiton Foundation. This program, Purposeful Rich Indigenous Mathematics Education (PRIME) Futures, works with teachers of Foundation (Prep) to Year 9 students in mainstream metropolitan and regional schools with above average Indigenous student populations and uses the YuMi Deadly Maths (YDM) approach to improve student outcomes in mathematics.
PhDs and research degrees
We offer masters and doctoral programs in education. Our research students are supervised by researchers with national and international reputations in their field, and are supported by a variety of services.
Faculty of Education - Office of Education Research
- Phone: 3138 3041
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 3041
- Email: email@example.com
- Level 5, B Block
Victoria Park Rd