Myles McGregor-Lowndes, member of the Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, is at the forefront of research in this area. He was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for providing education and support to nonprofit organisations.
The research in this area is at the cutting edge of the problems that face society today. How do organisations address sustainability, not only for themselves, but also for society?
Business School research
Find out more about joining us as a research student or acadamic:
ERA (Excellence in Research for Australia) 2012 score:
- 3 (at world standard).
ERA (Excellence in Research for Australia) evaluates the quality of research undertaken in Australian universities against national and international benchmarks.
Publications and resources
Our research is widely published in books and leading journals.
We also host extensive resources, including statistics on giving by postcode and the Developing your Business tools.
This is just a sample of our research activity in this area.
- Foundations for giving: why and how Australians structure their philanthropy
- Giving Australia 2016
- Perpetual Fund Thought Leadership Webinars
- Providing Leadership for the Evaluation of Mission Australia's Changing Places demonstration project
- The Natural Edge Project
Potential topics for new research students, and topics our students are currently studying.
- Creativity, innovation and economic performance
- Exploring organisational culture and employee change attitudes in nonprofit human service organisations.
- From annual reports to evaluation portfolios: developing nonprofit impact evaluation narratives
- Willing and accountable: a study of accountability for charitable bequests
- Centre of Philanthropy, Indiana University
Significant corporate partnerships
- Perpetual Trustees
- Mission Australia
- QUT Faculty of Law
Our research makes a significant difference for communities by helping not for profit organisations run more efficiently and successfully.
Standard chart of accounts
We created a National Standard Chart of Accounts for not for profit organisations which has been adopted by all state and territory governments. We culled 90% of terms and definitions and save Australia's 600,000 community organisations and schools millions of dollars each year.
"The Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies… is perhaps the best example I have found of practising engaged scholarship in the world." - Professor Andy Van de Ven, Vernon H Heath Professor of Organizational Innovation and Change, University of Minnesota.