The research in this area is at the cutting edge of the problems that face society today. How do organisations address sustainability, not only for themselves, but also for society?
Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies
The Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies sits within this research area, and brings together academics and research students with expertise in philanthropy, nonprofit organisations, and the social economy.
Evidence of research quality
ERA (Excellence in Research for Australia) 2012 score:
- 3 (at world standard) -
- Accounting, Auditing and Accountability (FOR 1501).
Full member of Nonprofit Academic Centres Council.
ERA (Excellence in Research Australia) evaluates the quality of research undertaken in Australian universities against national and international benchmarks.
Developing new researchers
- Research students
- Early career researchers
- 2012 total
- 2012 total
- ANZ Trustees and John T Reid Charitable Trusts
- Westpac Foundation
- Director identity, identification and information flows as predictors of board monitoring, resource provision and organisational performance
- Providing leadership for the evaluation of Mission Australia's changing places demonstration project
This is just a sample of our research activity in this area.
- Perpetual Fund Thought Leadership Webinars
- Providing Leadership for the Evaluation of Mission Australia's Changing Places demonstration project
- Foundations for giving: why and how Australians structure their philanthropy
Potential topics for new research students, and topics our students are currently studying.
- An investigation into charitable organisation structures that allow effective platforms for successful fundraising results.
- Exploring organisational culture and employee change attitudes in nonprofit human service organisations.
- Profiling white-collar criminals: differences between offenders in for-profit and not-for-profit organisations
- The emergence of giving circles and the influence of building a philanthropic culture
- The Role of Social Enterprise in Regional Development: Harnessing Opportunities and Overcoming Constraints in Regional Australia
- Centre of Philanthropy, Indiana University
Significant corporate partnerships
- Perpetual Trustees
- Mission Australia
- QUT Faculty of Law
Evidence of impact
- Council of Australian Governments (COAG) adoption of the QUT Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies (ACPNS) Standard Chart of Accounts.
- Productivity Commission research report extensive reliance on Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies (ACPNS) published research.