The research in this area is at the cutting edge of the problems that face society today. How do organisations address sustainability, not only for themselves, but also for society?
Business School research
Find out more about joining us as a research student or acadamic:
ERA (Excellence in Research for Australia) 2012 score:
- 3 (at world standard).
ERA (Excellence in Research Australia) evaluates the quality of research undertaken in Australian universities against national and international benchmarks.
Publications and resources
Our research is widely published in books and leading journals.
We also host extensive resources, including statistics on giving by postcode and the Developing your Business tools.
This is just a sample of our research activity in this area.
- Perpetual Fund Thought Leadership Webinars
- Providing Leadership for the Evaluation of Mission Australia's Changing Places demonstration project
- Foundations for giving: why and how Australians structure their philanthropy
Potential topics for new research students, and topics our students are currently studying.
- An investigation into charitable organisation structures that allow effective platforms for successful fundraising results.
- Asset performance in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exploring organisational culture and employee change attitudes in nonprofit human service organisations.
- Profiling white-collar criminals: differences between offenders in for-profit and not-for-profit organisations
- The emergence of giving circles and the influence of building a philanthropic culture
- The Role of Social Enterprise in Regional Development: Harnessing Opportunities and Overcoming Constraints in Regional Australia
- Willing and accountable: a study of accountability for charitable bequests
- Centre of Philanthropy, Indiana University
Significant corporate partnerships
- Perpetual Trustees
- Mission Australia
- QUT Faculty of Law
Our research makes a significant difference for communities by helping not for profit organisations run more efficiently and successfully.
Standard chart of accounts
We created a National Standard Chart of Accounts for not for profit organisations which has been adopted by all state and territory governments. We culled 90% of terms and definitions and save Australia's 600,000 community organisations and schools millions of dollars each year.
Resources for practitioners
Our range of organisational tools and resources is freely available, giving practical assistance to nonprofit organisations and boards. The tools include meeting formats and procedures, conflict resolution, legal case notes and risk management.
"The Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies ... is perhaps the best example I have found of practising engaged scholarship in the world." - Professor Andy Van de Ven, Vernon H Heath Professor of Organizational Innovation and Change, University of Minnesota.