QUT’s Science in Focus Image Competition invites Queensland high school students to enter images that capture how STEM impacts our world for a chance to win a $500 science experience prize pack for their school and $150 prepaid card for themselves
Years 7 to 10 students are invited to 'think small' and enter their finest photomicrographs by
21 September 2018. The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques.
If you are in the Caboolture region and serviced by QUT's Science and Engineering Van, you can book a 70 minute Science in Focus workshop. In this workshop students use high powered microscopes to capture eye catching images that capture how STEM impacts our world. These images are entered into the Science in Focus competition for a chance to win prizes for the school and students.
To book this 70 minute workshop email your preferred day and time to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Science in Focus Image Competition, sponsored by Serrata Pty Ltd (science equipment supplier) is open from 23 April to 21 September 2018. Winners are announced at a special event held at QUT in October (Date to be announced closer to the time).
The winner receives a $150 prepaid card and a $500 science experience prize pack (comprising of scientific equipment for your class, merchandise and prizes) for their school. Second place wins a $50 prepaid card, and third place wins a $25 prepaid card.
Please submit your image to the QUT Science in Focus Image Competition for High Schools via the Submission Form.
Finalist images will be displayed on the big screen at a finalist exhibition event to be held October 2018 at The Cube, QUT Gardens Point.
A few entry guidelines:
- Submit one photomicrograph taken using a light microscope (electron microscopy not acceptable).
- Any type of specimen is acceptable - it's your choice.
- Photo must be of students own sample. Images of commercially prepared slides not accepted.
- Image files must be no larger than 15 MB and submitted in GIF, JPG, JPEG or PNG format.
- Entries will be judged on originality, informational content, technical proficiency, visual impact and how the image links to your schools current studies, curriculum or school experiments.
- Entries are NOT limited to one per school. Schools may have multiple student groups enter.
How to enter:
Science in Focus workshop with microscopes
QUT Business School
- Phone: 3138 2050
- Fax: 07 3138 1055
Level 1, B Block
2 George St
- Postal address:
QUT Business School
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane QLD 4001