Our Real World Learning 2020 Vision outlines our clear aspirations for our graduates and learner experiences, consistent with our distinctive identity as a university for the real world.
To enact this vision over the coming years we will continue to commit ourselves to a culture of collaboration, working closely with staff and students and with industry and community partners to support the evolving needs of our learners.
We will be charting our progress as we experiment, test, evaluate and implement new ideas, while encouraging, enabling and sharing existing strengths and good practices.
QUT graduates will thrive in volatile environments over the long term, contribute productively as individuals and in teams and combine depth in professional knowledge with broad perspectives based on exposure to new ideas and different cultures.
Our graduates will:
- be curious, agile and resilient learners
- employ different ways of thinking, broad perspectives and evidence-based decision making to inform practice, and to imagine and realise change
- contribute to and impact on the world around them in ethical and sustainable ways
- be effective collaborators and communicators in disciplinary and interdisciplinary contexts
- employ digital literacies and use technology strategically to leverage information and to collaborate
- interact in local and global cultural contexts with knowledge of and respect for diverse cultural perspectives.
QUT's real world learning experience will reflect the physical and digital nature of the world in which we live and work. The QUT learner experience, encompassing curricular and co-curricular activities, will:
- provide authentic learning and assessment in all units
- have work integrated learning (WIL) in all courses
- value our learners and the knowledge and experience they bring
- enable learners to develop depth in professional knowledge with broad perspectives, including exposure to other disciplines and ways of thinking
- purposefully engage learners with diverse cultural perspectives, with specific inclusion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledges
- support learners to develop their professional profiles, networks and employability to find and create meaningful work and self-manage their careers
- enable learner connectedness and support
- be personalised, flexible and adaptable to better meet learners' ongoing learning needs
- be enhanced through online and blended learning technologies and tools.
Strategies for achieving our vision
Curriculum and learning transformation
We will invest in curriculum and learning transformation through:
- using the five-year course transformation and reaccreditation cycle to strengthen and assure the QUT learner experience
- providing strategic support and resources to curriculum leaders and teams to enable high impact transformation in courses
- expanding on market-driven, high quality, continuing professional learning offerings
- using a broad evidence base and multiple perspectives to inform our decision making.
We will invest in our staff through:
- team-based, situated approaches to capability building, to imagine, create and facilitate engaging, relevant, real-world experiences in online, blended and face-to-face contexts
- building and maintaining real-world currency and connectedness in the QUT workforce through recruitment strategies and professional development leave (PDL)
- aligning workforce planning, reward and recognition of excellence with our real world learning 2020 vision.
New ways of thinking and working
We will encourage and enable new ways of thinking and working through:
- supporting and rewarding 'cross-boundary' collaboration within and beyond QUT
- enabling collaborative partnerships with students, industry and community throughout the process of change and transformation
- investing in and rewarding innovation, and building tolerance for failure as a necessary part of innovation
- creating lean, flexible and streamlined policies, processes and technology solutions to support real-world learning priorities.
Learning and Teaching Unit
- Phone: 3138 1614
- Int. phone: +61 7 3138 1614
Room Level 3
2 George St