An academic record is a list of your courses, units and results to date. It's also known as an academic transcript. If you’ve studied more than one course it can include all courses or just a specific course.

When you order a printed version of your official academic record you can also request a scanned PDF. The PDF is an unofficial copy of your record and includes 'copy' watermarked on the document. You can't request a scanned PDF on its own.

If you want your academic record for a short course that you've completed, including the Maths B, Chemistry and Physics bridging courses, you need to contact Continuing Professional Education.

An Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) is issued when you graduate and provides a snapshot of your qualification upon completion. It includes details about your course, units and grades, and a summary of QUT and the Australian higher education system. The AHEGS is only available to students who complete and graduate from a QUT accredited award course from December 2012 onwards.

How do I access my documents and what are the costs?


When you graduate you'll receive free ongoing access to your digital AHEGS through My eQuals. This applies if you graduate from December 2018 onwards.

Include a personal email address in your HiQ personal profile and we'll send you an email with instructions and a link to My eQuals once we've issued your documents.

More information on digital documents


You can request a printed version of the following documents at a cost of:

  • $15 for an academic record for studies 1986 to present
  • $30 for an academic record for pre-1986 studies
  • $30 for a reissue or replacement AHEGS.

A reprinted AHEGS contains the same content as at the time of original issue.

Request a printed academic record or AHEGS

If you have any sanctions on your student account we cannot issue you your official documents.

Delivery charges

You can collect your academic record in person for free (remember to bring photo identification), or pay a $20 express processing charge for urgent pick-up requests (post-1986 academic records only). See express processing timelines below.

Standard postage in Australia is free, but you'll need to pay additional delivery charges of:

  • $10 for express postage in Australia
  • $1.50 for overseas postage
  • $5 for a scanned PDF copy of your academic record
  • $25 for international courier delivery (you'll need to provide a local mailing address and phone number as a post box address won't be accepted).

Available for

  • students
  • alumni.

How long will it take

Standard requests

Standard requests for a printed version take up to five working days.

Express service

If you require urgent processing for a printed version, an express service is available at an extra charge for most post-1986 records. Express records can be collected from HiQ on campus or can be sent by mail, express post (Australia) or overseas courier.

If you lodge your request:

  • before 2pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), we'll process your request within three hours (subject to successful payment processing)
  • after 2pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), we'll produce the record early the next working day.

For some post-1986 records from predecessor institutions, express processing may not be available. If this is the case, we'll contact you.

You can't request the express service when you submit the third party authorisation form.

Older records from former institutions

Requests for an archived academic record (for some former institutions) may take up to four weeks to complete. We'll email you to let you know how long it will take.

Can someone else collect my academic record for me?

We can only issue official documents to you, not a third party.

If you've ordered a printed academic record but can't collect it in person, you can authorise someone else to pick it up for you. We call this 'third-party authorisation'.

You need to submit a written authorisation at least three hours before collection either through your QUT email, a third party authorisation form (no express option), or power of attorney.

We can't accept authorisation by phone or from a non-QUT email address.

The person collecting your document will need to show either:

  • a passport
  • Australian drivers licence
  • Australian proof of age card.

QUT email

You need to send the email from your official QUT email address. Send an email to with the subject 'Authorising third party collection'. We need to receive the email at least three hours before the pick-up time.

This email needs to confirm that you provide your authority for QUT to release your document to this person. It needs to include the full legal name and date of birth of the person you are authorising to collect your document.

Third party authorisation form

You need to submit a Third Party Authorisation (TPA form) which confirms the full legal name and date of birth of the person who is collecting on your behalf. Third party authority can take up to three days to process.

You can't request the express processing service when you submit the third party authorisation form.

Power of attorney

The person collecting your document needs to show an original or legally certified copy of the complete power of attorney document issued in Australia, indicating their full legal name and date of birth.

Faculty of Health

Nursing students who want to apply for nursing registration outside of Australia will need to submit an application to the overseas nursing board. As part of the application process, you may be required to forward the board's academic verification form to QUT for processing.

Requests for academic verification from QUT can take approximately 2-3 months, and a fee is applicable.

To submit a request you'll need to email the School of Nursing at They'll provide you with information about processes, fees and payment methods.