Dr Vicky Liu
Faculty of Science,
School of Computer Science
BiographyMy current research is focused on network security and network performance
- IoT network management and security controls
- Security and performance for IoT ecosystem
- Network security and performance optimization
- Security architecture for Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- I am the Legal Main Contact for QUT’s Cisco Networking Academy
- I am a Certified Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Instructor
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Science,
School of Computer Science
Internet of Things (IoT) Ecosystems, Security and network performance for IoT, Smart city technologies and architectures, Network Performance Optimization, Smart grid security
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Queensland University of Technology)
- Master of IT (Research) (Queensland University of Technology)
- B.Bus (Computing) (Queensland University of Technology)
I have been actively involved in design, development and delivery of networking units at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including:
- CAB303 Networks
- CAB440 Network and Systems Administration
- IFN507 Network Systems
- IFN553 Introduction to Security and Networking
I am actively engaged in Supervision of Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at the Honours, Masters and PhD levels.
- Principal Investigator for a research consultancy project "IoT use for optimization of operations in the power industry", 2021.
- One of Chief Investigators for “Automated Monitoring and Analytics for Geotechnical and Structural Performance Using the Internet of GNSS Things”, funded by Innovative Manufacturing CRC (IMCRC), 2019-2022.
- One of Chief Investigators for “Improving Access to Precise Positioning Information by Utilising Modern Data Transmission Protocols - Part 1 - Scoping Study”, funded by Geoscience Australia, 2019-2020.
- I led a team to design, to renovate and to transform two earlier network laboratories into a state-of-the-art network laboratory at QUT by obtaining a Capital Equipment Grant to purchase routers and switches for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate network units and research projects in 2017. Our network units and projects have been using the network facilities in this network laboratory to provide hands-on experience by integrating practical exercises into the real-world learning process. This helps transform and deepen students’ learning outcomes.
- Tesfamicael A, Liu V, McKague M, Caelli B, (2021) An Architecture to Facilitate Security Assurance and Legal Compliance for Call Auditing in the Wholesale Electricity Market, IEEE Access, 9, pp. 146437-146453.
- Tesfamicael A, Liu V, McKague M, Caelli B, Foo E, (2020) A design for a secure energy market trading system in a national wholesale electricity market, IEEE Access, 8, pp. 132424- 132445.
- Kane L, Chen J, Thomas R, Liu V, McKague M, (2020) Security and Performance in IoT: A Balancing Act, IEEE Access, 8, pp. 121969- 121986.
- Liu V, Caelli B, Chen J, (2019) An adaptive and autonomous LoRa gateway for throughput optimisation, Proceedings of the Australasian Computer Science Week Multiconference, ACSW 2019, pp. 1-9.
- Caelli B, Liu V, (2018) Cybersecurity education at formal university level: An Australian perspective, The Journal for the Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education (CISSE), 5 (2), pp. 1-18.
- Chen J, Chen E, Liu V, Fairbairn L, Simpson L, Wang C, Caelli B, (2018) A viable LoRa framework for smart cities, Proceedings of the 22nd Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2018), pp. 1-14.
- Tesfamicael A, Liu V, Foo E, Caelli B, (2018) Modeling for a QoS-efficient real-time video conferencing system in the cloud, Proceedings of the 2018 26th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (SoftCOM), pp. 296-301.
- Kaviani M, Kusy B, Jurdak R, Bergmann N, Liu V, (2016) Energy-aware forwarding strategies for delay tolerant network routing protocols, Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks, 5 (4), pp. 1-21.
- Wong A, Liu V, Caelli B, Sahama T, (2015) An architecture for trustworthy open data services, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 454, pp. 149-162.
- Liu V, Tesfamicael A, Caelli B, Sahama T, (2015) Network security metrics and performance for healthcare systems management, Proceedings of the 2015 17th International Conference on E-health Networking, Application and Services (HealthCom), pp. 189-194.
- Academic Honours, Prestigious Awards or Prizes
- Reference year
- Vice-Chancellor¿s Performance Award (International Collaboration)