This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyTerry Hutchinson is an Associate Professor within the QUT Law School. Dr Hutchinson teaches criminal law and legal research, and has published widely in the areas of youth justice and postgraduate legal research training, including Researching and Writing in Law. Dr Hutchinson is a former full-time member of the Queensland Law Reform Commission. She is a past chair and current member of the Queensland Law Society’s Equalising Opportunities in the Law Committee (from 2002) and Children’s Committee (from 2014). Dr Hutchinson is also a member of the Law Council of Australia’s Equalising Opportunities in the Law Committee (from 2004). Dr Hutchinson is on the Editorial Advisory Board of the peer reviewed Legal Education Review. She was formerly Editor in Chief and Associate Editor (2004-2011) and an Executive member of the Australasian Law Teachers’ Association (ALTA) (2005-2011).
- Postgraduate Legal Research
- Research Methodologies for Lawyers
- Criminal Law
- Youth Justice
- Diversity in the Legal Profession
Criminal Law, Equalising opportunities in the law, Human rights, Juvenile Justice, Legal Education, Legal profession, Legal research skills, Refugees, Youth Justice
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD by Publication (Griffith University)
- Masters in Legal Practice (Queensland University of Technology)
- GDLegalPrac (Queensland Inst. of Technology)
- GDipLib (University of New South Wales)
- LLB (University of Queensland)
- BA (University of Queensland)
- Hutchinson T, (2015) 'A slap on the wrist'? The conservative agenda in Queensland, Australia, Youth Justice, 15 (2), pp. 134-147.
- Hutchinson T, (2014) Making the fun stop: Youth justice reform in Queensland, Deakin Law Review, 19 (2), pp. 243-274.
- Hutchinson T, Richards K, (2013) Scared straight: boot camps for Queensland, Alternative Law Journal, 38 (4), pp. 229-233.
- Hutchinson T, Duncan N, (2012) Defining and describing what we do: Doctrinal legal research, Deakin Law Review, 17 (1), pp. 83-119.
- Hutchinson T, Dickson E, Chappell D, (2011) Juvenile justice and truancy legislation: The move towards parental responsibilisation in Queensland, Alternative Law Journal, 36 (2), pp. 104-109.
- Hutchinson T, (2010) Researching and Writing in Law (3rd Edition).
- Burns K, Hutchinson T, (2009) The impact of 'empirical facts' on legal scholarship and legal research training, Law Teacher, 43 (2), pp. 153-178.
- Hutchinson T, (2008) Developing legal research skills: Expending the paradigm, Melbourne University Law Review, 32 (3), pp. 1065-1095.
- Hutchinson T, (2006) When is a Child not a Child?, Criminal Law Journal, 30 (2), pp. 92-99.
- Martin F, Hutchinson T, (2005) Mental Health and Human Rights Implications for Unaccompanied Minors Seeking Asylum in Australia, The Journal of Migration and Refugee Issues, 1 (1), pp. 1-24.