Dr Thor Bostrom
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyResearch theme: Environment
Research discipline: Chemistry
Microstructure related to ion sorption properties of manganese oxide materials
Certain manganese oxides show selective sorption of cations and may potentially be used to remove ionic contaminants from environmental waters. The microstructure of these compounds is being investigated using high resolution analytical electron microscopy and other techniques.
Characterisation of environmental aerosol nanoparticles
The composition and morphology of submicron inorganic aerosol particles can be specifically investigated using analytical transmission electron microscopy. In a current study, nanoparticles emitted from laser printers are being analysed to identify likely sources during the printing process.
Physical processes in microanalysis during heating stage ESEM
Changes in materials with temperature can be studied using a heating stage in an environmental SEM. At elevated temperatures both imaging and X-ray microanalysis show some anomalous behaviour, and this study is an investigation of the physical processes involved under these conditions.
Areas of expertise
- Transmission and scanning electron microscopy
- Quantitative X-ray microanalysis
- Electron diffraction
- Scanning probe microscopy
- Particle microanalysis
Selected research projects
- Quantitative particle microanalysis in the EM
- Physical processes in microanalysis at elevated temperatures using heating stage ESEM
- Microstructure and ion sorption properties of manganese oxide materials
- Characterisation of nanostructures by quantitative TEM, SEM and SPM
X-ray microanalysis, diffraction, electron microscopy, environmental SEM, focused ion beam, metal oxides, scanning electron microscopy, scanning probe microscopy, transmission electron microscopy
Physical Chemistry (incl. Structural), Materials Engineering, Other Physical Sciences
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Ph.D. (University of Sydney)
- BSc (Hons) 1st class (University of Queensland)
Professional memberships and associations
- Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Society (AMMS)
- Australian Microbeam Analysis Society (AMAS)
- Microbeam Analysis Society USA