Dr Robert Peard
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
Dr Robert Peard is currently a lecturer in Mathematics Education at Queenland University of Technology, Faculty of Education, School of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education. Since joining QUT (then BCAE) in 1984 he has been involved in teacher education, curriculum development and research in both the primary and secondary areas. Prior to this he was a Mathematics Subject Head at a secondary school in British Columbia, Canada.
Rob also has expertise in the fields of learning difficulties in mathematics and probabilistic reasoning. His PhD thesis (Deakin University, 1994) researched the relationship between social background and probabilistic reasoning. He was a member of the Mathematics Advisory Committee to the Board of Senior Secondary School Studies (1989-1991), and was influential in the development of the new Senior Mathematics Syllabus. He has been involved in the professional development of senior secondary mathematics teachers in the implementation of this syllabus at various State Secondary Schools up to the present time and has authored four text books for this syllabus. In 1991 he was an adviser to the management committee for A National Statement on Mathematics for Australian Schools. In 2005, as a consultant for Education Queensland, he authored a unit of work for Senior Mathematics A and B entitled, The Mathematics of Responsible Gambling. Current research activities in this field are continuing.
His current research is in the field of pre-service primary teacher content knowledge in quantitative literacy for primary teachers and mathematical content knowledge of pre-service secondary teachers. This involves collaborative work and research with tertiary mathematics content lecturers both at QUT and other institutions. He maintains a high profile in the field of stochastic education and continues research in this field, including misconceptions in probability.
Diagnosis & remediation, Mathematics Education- Primary, Mathematics Education- Secondary, Probalistic reasoning
Curriculum and Pedagogy, Education Systems
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- PhD (Deakin University)
- MEd (University of British Columbia)
- BSc (University of Queensland)
- MDB001, Quantitative Literacy (integrated foundations unit in the new BEd), Unit co-coordinator and developer. Lecturer of large group lectures and tutorials at Kelvin Grove and Caboolture Campus.
- Unit coordinator and co-teacher: Secondary Mathematics Curriculum Units, MDB021, MDB023, MDP456, MDP458
- MDB388, Numeracy in Games of Skill and Chance; coordinator and teacher
- MDP529, Diagnostic Assessment and Remediation in Mathematics; coordinator and teacher.
- MDN 627, Assessment and Intervention in Mathematics; coordinator and teacher.