Dr Ruth Crowther
This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyMy background is in psychology and public health. Prior to joining QUT I worked as Senior Lecturer at the University of Qld, School of Public Health and Griffith University School of Medicine. Before venturing to the Southern hemisphere in 2003 I was Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Org Psych at the University of Manchester. Originally specialising in psychosocial interventions to help people with severe mental illness return to the workplace, my expertise has broadened to incorporate health systems, including health policy (and specifically bridging the gap between policy and practice), health system evaluation and epidemiology of non-communicable diseases. I have also held a number of research positions coordinating evaluations of large-scale interventions in both Australia and the UK.
Here at QUT I am a Senior Research Fellow on eMHPrac (e-Mental Health in Practice), which is an ongoing DoH funded initiative to increase awareness and training of the benefits, limitations and usability of digital/e-mental health resources for health professionals and their clients/patients. Given the nature of this work, it is expanding to broadly encompass the population as a whole with a focus on providing education to those with mild to moderate mental ill health who may not access a health professional directly (including school children, students and employees, those living in rural/remote areas). This role enables me to draw together my passion for psychology and specifically public mental health given we are seeking to provide a population-wide approach to education on the prevention and treatment of mental illness using low intensity digital interventions. It also enables me to follow my passion as an educator by developing and delivering a variety of educational opportunities to a range of people at the front-line of care and education, including podcasts, webinars and face-to-face sessions with specific groups and organisations.
I have over twenty years experience in applied mental health research, public health and teaching in both the UK and Australia. I am a member of the APS E-Psychology and APS Buddhism and Psychology Interest Groups and am also currently undertaking further Masters study to become an endorsed Clinical Psychologist.
- Integration of Digital Mental Health into healthcare
- Implementation of Evidence Based Mental Health Policy
- Social Determinants of Health
- Promotion and Protection of Mental Capital and Wellbeing
- Realist approach to research and evaluation
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of Manchester)
- Master of Philosophy (University of Manchester)
- Grad Cert Higher Education (University of Queensland)
- Bachelor of Science (hons) Psychology (Sheffield Hallam University)
Professional memberships and associations
- Member Australian Psychological Society (MAPS)
- Member Public Health Association Australia (PHAA)
- Member Australia and New Zealand Health Professionals Education (ANZHPE)