This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
BiographyResearch interests include:
- unconventional resources: shale gas/oil, tight gas and coal seam gas,
- architecture of sandstone reservoirs for conventional oil and gas,
- sequence stratigraphy of nonmarine strata,
- evolution of major deltaic complexes,
- depositional environments of coal and coal-bearing strata,
- assessment of fossil fuel resources.
- 2012 - Present: Professor, Queensland University of Technology
- 2007 - 2012: Theme Leader, Petroleum and Geothermal Portfolio, CSIRO
- 1987 - 2007: Research Geologist, US Geological Survey
- 1983 - 1987: Manager of Coal Geology and Basin Analysis Sections, Alberta Research Council
- 1980 - 1983: Research Geologist, Exxon Production Research Co
- 1977 - 1980: Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- 1975 - 1977: Postdoctoral Fellow, McMaster University
Honours and Awards
- 2008 Michel Halbouty Distinguished Lecturer, Geological Society of America
- 2007 – 2008 American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) Distinguished Lecturer for the Asia Pacific Region (32 lectures and short courses given in Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Vietnam, Thailand, China, S. Korea, and Japan)
- 2000 Paper “Energy resources – Cornucopia or Empty Barrel” from AAPG Bulletin 82, p. 2110- 2134, selected for reprint in The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics.
- 1999 Wallace E. Pratt Memorial Award, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, for Best Paper in 1997 AAPG Bulletin
- 1996 Certificate of Merit, EMD Division of American Association of Petroleum Geologists
McCabe, P.J., 2012, Oil and natural gas: global resources, in Meyers, R.A., ed., Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology: Springer Science & Business Media, 13 pp.
Ryder, R.T., Qiang, J., McCabe, P.J., Nuccio, V.F., and Persits, F., 2012, Shahejie-Shahejie/Guantao/Wumishan and Carboniferous/Permian Coal-Paleozoic total petroleum systems in the Bohaiwan Basin, China: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2011-5010, 89 p.
Gautier, D., McCabe, P.J., Ogden, J., and Demayo, T.N., 2010, Resources, reserves, and consumption of energy: in Graedl, T., and Van der Voet, E., Strüngmann Forum Report, Linkages of Sustainability, MIT Press, p. 323-340.
McCabe, P.J., Ryder, R.T., and Bishop, M.G., 2000, in U.S. Geological Survey World Energy Assessment Team, 2000, U.S. Geological Survey World Petroleum Assessment 2000 – Descriptions and results: USGS Digital Data Series DDS-60.
McCabe, P.J., 1998, Energy resources - Cornucopia or empty barrel?: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 82, p. 2110-2134.
Robinson, J.W., and McCabe, P.J., 1997, Sandstone-body and shale-body dimensions in a braided fluvial system: Salt Wash Sandstone Member (Morrison Formation), Garfield County, Utah: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 81, p. 1267-1291.
Shanley, K.W., and McCabe, P.J., 1994, Perspectives on the sequence stratigraphy of continental strata: AAPG Bulletin, v. 78, p. 544-568.
McCabe, P.J., and Shanley, K.W., 1992, Organic control on shoreface stacking patterns: Bogged down in the mire: Geology, v. 20, p. 741-744.
McCabe, P.J., and Parrish, J.T., eds., 1992, Controls on the distribution and quality of Cretaceous coals: Geological Society of America Special Paper 267, 407 p. McCabe, P.J., 1984, Depositional environments of coal and coal-bearing strata, in Rahmani, R.A., and Flores, R.M., eds., Sedimentology of coal and coal-bearing strata: International Association of Sedimentologists Special Publication 7, p. 13-42.
Other Earth Sciences
Field of Research code, Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC), 2008
Professional memberships and associations
- American Geoscience Institute (Past President)
- SEPM Society for Sedimentary Geology (Past President)
- Geological Society of Australia
- Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia
- Geological Society of London (Fellow)
- Geological Society of America
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- International Association of Sedimentologists
- European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Yorkshire Geological Society
Peter is recognized as an expert in fossil fuel resources, clastic sedimentology, sequence stratigraphy and basin development. He has a strong publication record of highly cited papers. His commitment to the geosciences is indicated by his major service to the profession, having served President of the American Geological Institute and the Society of Sedimentary Geology.
As Research Theme Leader for Geosystems and Resources,in QUT’s Institute for Future Environments Peter will promote closer collaboration between geoscientists and researchers in other disciplines to address the pressing issues facing society. He will also encourage better communication of geoscience information to decision-makers in industry and government.